Chaim Gingold on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 00:58:32 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Israel rushes to capitalise on terrorist attack

It is important to keep in mind that the limited footage on
celebrating Palestinians might be a result of censorship. The Foreign
Press Organization in Israel had this to say:

"The FPA expresses deep concern over the harassment of journalists by
the Palestinian Authority as police forces and armed gunmen tried to
prevent photo and video coverage of Tuesday's rally in
Nablus where hundreds of Palestinians celebrated the terror attacks
in NY and Washington.

"We strongly condemn the direct threats made against
local videographers by local militia members and the
attitude of Palestinian officials who made no effort to counter the
threats, control the situation, or to guarantee the safety of the
journalists and the freedom of the press.

"We call on the PA to ensure freedom of the press and
the free flow of information and to prevent elements operating within
PA jurisdiction from making or carrying out threats that aim to impede
this and  effectively impose censorship. We hold the PA fully
responsible for the safety of each and every journalist operating within
their areas, especially those who were filming and covering
Tuesday's events in Nablus."

We must be careful when comparing Palestinian terror attacks with
those we witnessed Tuesday. In terms of style and substance -- the
deliberate targetting of random individuals -- they are identical. Drawing
distinctions of justification based upon underlying motivations seems to
be a slippery slope. The deliberate targetting of random men, women,
and children whether they be at the mall, WTC, Pentagon, or Sbarro's is
unjustifiable under any circumstances.

[excerpted from
http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2001/09/13/LatestNews/LatestNews.34810.html]