Andrew Ross on Wed, 12 Sep 2001 17:16:25 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> New York City

 As someone who's been moving around downtown New York yesterday and
this  morning, I'm struck by how many paramilitary vehicles there are
on the  streets. The National Guard is here, of course, but there are
also all sorts of very strange-looking vehicles (with unfamiliar
acronyms on the side, if they are identified at all) that you never see
 on civilian streets, but which clearly belong to the relevant civil
authorities. All other things aside (which, I realize, is a large
proviso), the atmosphere is neo-martial, and reminds one of how quickly
 a dense First World metro area can and could be commandeered under
other circumstances that one is only left to imagine.