Ivo Skoric on Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:26:20 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] It's the law!

Just as oppressive...

Often we hear the phrase how our objectives should be achieving
stable societies based on the rule of law. At the beginning of his
reign, Russian president Putin came up with the sarcastic mockery
saying how he would introduce to Russia not merely the rule of
law, but rather the dictatorship of law. The enormous increase in
building inspections, fire code inspections, financial police
inspections, etc. - that followed this Putin’s decree, started to
threaten the so-far undisputed unofficial supremacy of various
branches and layers of U.S. bureaucracy in the meticulous job of
writing summonses.

Wait a minute. Isn’t what we have here in the U.S. the best of all
possible worlds? The one that its patrician castes feel not only
entitled but also called upon in a higher moral duty to proselytize
and spread around the barbaric post-communist and post-non-
aligned world? All world’s societies under this master central plan
should look the same: they should all embrace free market,
representative democracy, and enshrine it in the rule of law -
Western, U.S. law, that means, of course.

Bur for all the talk about the “rule of law” I often find it just as
oppressive as any other rule. Freedom cannot be guaranteed.
Particular rights can be protected. But liberty cannot be simply
legislated into existence. It has to be desired, fought for and lived
as such. Which often, unfortunately, entails breaking the law.

The law breaking, in this service oriented society, for your
convenience, is made easier. The speed limits are sufficiently low
, and the drinking age is sufficiently high, so that every citizen, as
it befits a democracy, can achieve the unparalleled thrill of
breaking the law. The police officers are paid well enough so that
it would be counter-productive for them to take bribes. And most
of the fines, again, for your convenience, you may pay, for a small
fee, by your credit card.

On July 4th an American friend of mine suggested that we watch
the fireworks from kayaks that we should paddle up the East
River from a certain point in Brooklyn. Police, however, didn’t let
public near the river, much less in the river. Something that
independent could happen only in some Hollywood production
starring Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks, perhaps, aptly named The
Independence Day.

In real life, car traffic was blocked two blocks East from the river
in Wiliamsburg area and the FDR highway on Manhattan side
was, naturally, closed. Hordes of tourists were admitted to FDR
highway and given little paper flags, for free, can you imagine, to
wave in exhilaration before the Macy’s fireworks commenced.
>From the other river bank they looked like we used to look during
compulsory mass outings for dear comrade Tito’s arrival in
Yugoslavia, when I was a kid, that was before that country
acquired the sad adjective ‘former.’

Macy’s did a splendid job with the fireworks and all that. But
what did the independence had to do with that? What is
‘independent’ about the largest holiday being owned by a retail
giant? And the only people espousing truly American spirit
appeared to have been those that I saw from the roof driving
around police barricades, thus breaking the law.

Six days later a replica of fireworks was put on display for
president Bush who happened to miss the original one on the
fourth. By Macy’s, maybe, again, I don’t know. ‘Dear leader’
should have his fireworks, shouldn’t he? I was in the Central
Park, when that happened. I was walking with Max, my dog,
around North Meadows area, acquainting myself for the first time
with the real meaning of the year-long renovation of that area.
They built fences around fields. They installed locks on those
fences, too. Now, your feet can get off the asphalt and onto the
grass by permit only, before dusk, and dogs are verboten. It’s the
law! Max learned to run, catch and fetch there. Now, those nights
seem to be gone forever.

Land of the free is the land of gated communities and fenced-off
fields. It is also the land of the largest prison population on the
planet. To protect that freedom, the U.S. spends on defense as
much as 12 subsequent countries - including Russia and China -
together. Because, home of the brave is the home of the military
that cannot stomach to see its soldiers die in wars it likes to wage.
So it has to win wars just by sheer threat of overwhelming power.
61 military bases in 19 countries, yet the entire formidable Gulf
fleet leaves ports when Osama Bin Laden utters a mere verbal
threat.

Wherever the white man showed up with his law and with his
progress, the local, indigenous population starved and neighbors
massacred each other. Incorrectly, the white man then placed the
blame on “obviously” inferior savages for such bad behavior,
sending in more ‘help’ in shape of missionaries, or, more recently,
NGO-s to teach barbarians their law. This path is unbroken since
the days of Roman Republic. The sea-going Europeans and their
offspring destroyed local economies and societies in Africa, Asia
and Americas and replaced them with their economies and
societies, forcing the surviving indigenous people to play according
to their, white man rules. NATO’s current job of establishing the
‘rule of law’ in Macedonia is nothing new in that respect.

Indeed, there are racial riots in Los Angeles and Cincinnati and
there are Asian riots in England and there is Northern Ireland and
there is Basque country and there are anti-globalist protests. Of
course, none of that resembles the instability on scale of Bosnia
and Rwanda. But is the ‘rule of law’ that makes that difference?
Was the rule of law that crushed the L.A. riots? No, it was the
tear gas, rubber bullets and the truncheons of an enormously large
and well paid police force. Just as it would be in China. Ok, they
did act within the limitations of the law, well, at least, mostly
within those limitations. But so did the Chinese in the Tien-An-
Men square. What does make one country a ‘police state’ and the
other not?

By default, the West denies legitimacy to laws that are not the
product of the same political system that governs their societies,
that is the representative democracy. If the country is not a
representative democracy, then its laws are invalid and can be
broken with impunity. But does the representative democracy
ensures that laws serve the justice better than the dictatorship
would do? In theory, a system where everyone has the right to
express their view, to vote and to be voted for, must bring about
better laws than a system where laws are decided by a single,
privileged caste.

In praxis, however, in the U.S. barely half of the eligible (over 18)
citizens votes, and only those, who can raise hundreds of
thousands of dollars necessary for political campaigning, i.e. those
who are either rich or in the pockets of the rich, get voted for.
And while everybody has the right to express their view, few
choose to do so - because nobody has time to listen. To pay the
bills for the things they are taught that they need, people in big
urban areas spend on average 10 hours a day on their jobs and 3
hours a day stuck in traffic commuting to and from their jobs.
There is not much time for activism here. Also, just a few
decades ago more than 10% of citizens were actively prevented
from voting due to the color of their skin. Slavery was a law,
once, too. And a law declared by this very same representative
democracy.

There is no reason to go that far in the past: the present day U.S.
president was not exactly elected, but rather appointed by a
narrow decision (5:4) of a body that in the average age, scope of
powers and cultural views of its members more closely resembles
the Council of Guardians around Ali Khamenei in Iran than an
institution in the world’s first democracy. That is hardly a
coincidence. Under the rule of law the lawyers caste permeates
all pores of society just as under the rule of Communist Party in
former Yugoslavia the party members did it. It is always
dangerous for democracy if one group of people assume such all-
encompassing power (like imams and mullahs in Iran, Catholic
priests in medieval Europe or Communist Party in Soviet Union).

Just as under the rule of party, where the correct dispensing of
justice was implicit by the historic right, that the party claimed for
itself, based on the “scientific facts” from Marx’s books, under
the rule of law, the correct dispensing of justice is implicit by the
proposition that laws are passed as the will of the people and
enforced by a guild of professionals. But increasingly, the people
who pass the laws belong to that very same guild - most of the
Senators and Congressmen are lawyers - the entire Clinton’s first
cabinet consisted of lawyers, and both him and Bush are lawyers
(although Clinton is banned from practice now because of his
perjured statement in connection with his relationship with Monica
Levinsky, poor sinner). And the ‘ordinary’ people don’t bother to
vote.

To admit that rule of law in the U.S. is nothing more but a rule of
an oligarchy of rich people’s attorneys, who go through the
revolving doors between corporate world and the world of so-
called public service, would make it look not very different from
the rule of Communist Party, therefore taking away its political
legitimacy as representative democracy. Without being a political
representative democracy, the U.S. would be just another ‘police
state’ protecting the rich and powerful from the hungry world. In
any case, that ends up as a terror of summonses for the poor that
do not have the resources to comply with all the rules and
regulations that the rich voted into laws to keep them at bay.

Connecticut State Representative Michael P. Lawlor, a Democrat
who is chairman of the Connecticut House judiciary committee,
found out that 9 out of 10 people in jail and prison in Connecticut
for drug offenses are black or Hispanic, but that half of those
arrested on drug charges are white. Part of the problem, he said,
is a Connecticut law that established a mandatory sentence for
selling or possessing drugs within twothirds of a mile of a school,
day care center or public housing project. The result, Mr. Lawlor
said, is that 90 percent of cities like Hartford or New Haven are
within these areas, and so poor and minority people who, unlike
whites, live in public housing projects in these areas end up in
prison for any drug charge. This is a clear case of how the law
indirectly discriminates against the lower income people.

Enforcement without compassion makes the rule of law in its
appearance, if not in its substance, no different than a dictatorship.
I found out that I feel just as persecuted here in the U.S. as I felt
in former Yugoslavia. Yet, I understand that there is no
conspiracy at hand here. The rule of law is nondiscriminatory in
its direct application, yet it can be just as oppressive. I am not
persecuted as a victim of the police state. I am persecuted
because it’s the law. But it makes no difference to me at the
receiving end of the stick. The fees and fines passed out as
penalties for breaking the law are easier on the rich - as O.J.
Simpson’s case showed, a lot can be done with enough money -
so the consequences of the rule of law are indirectly
discriminatory to lower income individuals. Breaking the same
laws puts higher burden on the poor than on the rich, making law-
breaking one of the privileges of rich & famous who can afford it.
Just as it was in the communist societies for those in power and
well-connected.

And, indeed, I fear police more than thieves in New York city. Of
five times I thought my car was stolen, each of the five times it
was taken away by the sheriff of the police for either a parking
violation or previously unpaid parking violations, i.e. for being
found breaking the law. On the other hand, when I was attacked
once by two muggers armed by a small handgun inside a
Citibank’s ATM, detectives at the precinct let me look through
two thick albums of pictures of potential suspects, explaining to
me how it would be difficult and most probably impossible to track
and find my attackers. My conclusion is that police is here to
annoy us, not to protect us.

In June two 19 year old girls were caught ordering an alcoholic
drink in Texas. This was their second offence in the state that
imposes mandatory prison sentences for third such offence. In the
U.S. it is illegal to drink alcoholic beverages if you are younger
than 21. Of course, everybody drinks, because this is just a stupid
law. Just as everybody speeds on highways where the speed limit
is 55 mph (90 km/h). Those laws seem to be invented to raise
revenue for States. ‘Duchess’ Elizabeth Dole was particularly
damaging to the American concept of freedom by forcing States
to accept raising legal drinking age to 21 by linking federal
highway grants to that “law.” The American lawyer caste makes
most money on what The Economist calls “two dominant currents
in American life: petty puritanism and a pathological obsession
with safety.”

Four years ago I used to work at the swimming pool in Fort Lee,
NJ. There were two springboards at the 13 feet deep end of the
pool, but the bigger was closed for safety reasons. There were no
incidents ever, but the lawyers from the insurance company at
one point decided that they would not insure the pool otherwise.
Last year the smaller springboard was also taken away. In the
name of safety, all fun will soon be prohibited in the U.S. More
people will earn law degrees and pass more laws so they can
make more money on the ever deepening gap between the
puritanic nature of the dominant culture of guilt and the real,
hidden desires of poor sinners to live free - or die, as the New
Hampshire license plates say in yet another great American
propaganda ploy... ...oh, by the way, those two girls are daughters
of George W. Bush, so we
shall see whether they would do prison time, should they be
caught the third time, or would daddy the emperor pardon them.

Ivo Skoric

Ivo Skoric
1773 Lexington Ave
New York NY 10029