snafu on Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:40:11 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Italian Government builds a black block around the policeoperate

Rome, 24-07-01

280 arrests, 231 people who recurred to medical care (121 demonstrators, 94 policemen, 16 journalist). These are the numbers given by the Minister of Internal Affairs Claudio Scajola, to the Italian Parliament, over the riots that took place in Genova, during the G8 Conference.

Quoting "authoritative American sources" (CNN), the Minister sustained the so called Black Bloc was formed by 5.000 units. He also sustained that the violent fringes were protected and supported by other sectors of the Genoa Social Forum, in a dangerous, subversive strategy, which would represent a serious thread for Italian democracy.

As an evidence of this statement, the Minister sustained that on Saturday morning police agents saw and followed a white van, leaving one of the places, the Tardini Stadium - were the demonstrators were hosted. As shown by some video footage shot from an helicopter, the van was carrying and distributing tens of sticks and iron bar to the demonstrators, before the beginning of the demonstration. The van was followed back to the stadium, hosting mainly people from the "No Global Network", an organization rooted in Naples and in the surroundings. Immediately after, the police entered the stadium arresting 23 people. According to a Roman community radio, 21 of them have been already released by the magistrature, being people who were resting in the stadium, because of the injuries reported after the riots happened the day before. For the others 2, the arrest has been confirmed being the owners of the van.

If the No Global Network never entered the Genoa Social Forum, being on more radical positions, the theory of the subversive strategy was extended by Scajola to the GSF itself.
In particular the Minister indicated the verbal violence used by the White Overalls in the days before the summit (with the call to the violation of the Red Zone), as an indirect responsibility in the riots. He also said that the most violent disorders that leaded to the murder of Carlo Giuliani, took place in the demonstration of the White Overalls.

Finally, the Minister defended the nocturnal raid at the GSF media center and at the dormitory.  He said to not have been informed of it, and that it was necessary to prevent other disorders, in the following day. The Minister fully defended the police operate in this circumstance, as well.

The Government defended the operate of the Minister and said that no heads of the security forces are going to fall. The opposition (Ulivo and Rifondazione Comunista) asked the Minister to resign and are working on a motion of distrust, which will be, with any probability, disapproved. The opposition also asked the institution of a Parliament Commission that would make clarity on the facts of Genova.

- The demonstrators are collecting a dossier

On the other side, the GSF has launched a national day of protest in all the Italian cities against the police violence and to ask the resign of the Minister of the Internal Affairs. Yesterday two "spontaneous" demonstration were held in Rome, in front of the Parliament House (2-3.000 people participated) and in Milan, in front of the  City Council (20,000 people).

In the meantime, hundreds of witness eyes are collecting a dossier and Amnesty International is conducing an independent enquiry. Other particulars are revealing the presence of neo-fascist and neo-nazis cells or groups in the so called "Black Bloc". This is the article published by La Repubblica of Monday, the 23rd:

>"I COME FROM BIRMINGHAM AND I'M A NAZI.
>THE ITALIAN BROTHERS INVITED ME.

>GENOVA - "I'm here to destroy everything. I don't care about the G8 or anti-globalization >bullshit. The Italian brothers invited me, they told me we wouldn't have troubles with the >police, that they would allow us to do all we wanted". Liam "Doggy" Stevens, a 26-year->old from Birmingham, is happy. "I'm a Nazi, not an anarchist". He sits on the ground in >via Casaregis, riots go on a few metres away. His face is covered by a Union Jack, he >has a foaming dog on the sweatshirt. "It is the symbol of my group, the Black Dogs." His >girlfriend calls him: "Doggy, don't talk to journalists!". He gets up and vanishes in the >tear gas.

This new is confirmed by three journalists, working for the independent agency Italpress News, who interviewed Stevens while he was branding a street pole "extracted" from the footpath. Moreover, two kids referred to the newspaper "Il Manifesto", to have seen a group of policemen to throw in a bin black shirts, caps and jumpers. Other witnesses say to have seen in more circumstances a moped, driven by guys dressed as demonstrators, to go quickly back and forward between groups of demonstrators and policemen.

The presence of these groups, together with the evidence  of infiltrators leaving a Carabinieri barrack
http://www.italy.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6149&group=webcast makes concrete the ipothesis that who lighted the fire was not, or not only, the anarchic Black Block, but a mixture of extreme right groups, and "deviated" apparatuses of the Italian State, that made their appearance on the stage of Italian history at least 32 years ago, when a bomb exterminated 32 people beginning the so called strategy of tension. The re-edition of this strategy - strongly denied by the Minister of Internal Affairs - can be suspiciously taken in consideration, because of different "bomb packs" delivered in the precedent days of the G8 and in the following ones, in different cities, such as Genova, Milan and Bologna. The Minister of the Internal Affairs says that these terrorist attacks - that luckily made no victims until now, but hurted one Carabiniere - have been claimed by anarco-insurrectionalists groups. Nevertheless, the suspicions over the presumed capacity of these groups to hit so many targets, without being busted remain high.

No one can say at the moment, what will be the future of this movement and if the civil rights will be definitively suspended in Italy. The theory of the "subversive strategy", if not deconstructed, prepares the road to new arrests and new repression. In this context  the informative support coming from other countries is extremely important, vital. Therefore, i invite you to make circulate and subscribe the communicate launched by Strano Network (www.strano.net), the dossier on the violation of civil rights by Dyne.org (http://dyne.org/antig8) and to send letters of protest to the lists of embassies below asking for the institution of a Parliament Commission on the facts of Genova.

It's moment to take responsibility.

Much too late to make art,

snafu

--------

this is a php mailbot targeted at italian embassies and consulates
the file "mailbot.txt" has to be installed in the same directory
please install, modify, publish and distribute this bot widely
its original url is: http://excess4all.com/genoa/mailbot.php
if you like check for e-mail addresses that produce errors

[...]

ambital@emirates.net.ae
consulit@emirates.net.ae
italcons@cpsarg.com.ar