josh zeidner on Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:23:38 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> internetontology[ Cyc and D. Lenat ]

Hi Martin,

   Thanks much for the feedback... some
answers/comments:

> hi all,
>
> that is an interesting topic. knowledge of the
> world. in a database ( not
> to mention the word hierarchical, you use). i wonder
> if you ever read
> goedel...

   I am familiar with his work on logic.  "Godel,
Escher, Bach" was a very good book.

> another detail: where does a fact become knowledge.
> in this case,
> knowledge has to be defined as "worth of being
> entered into this
> database". is it as soon as someone cares about it?
> as soon as someone
> pays for it? in my opinion, this is NOT the
> definition of knowledge i
> learned on the university.

   Here lies much of the problem.  We live in the age
of information, unfortunately not the age of
knowledge.  Information/Data != Thought.

> but historical "events" where people decided, what
> reality is (and defined
> knowledge through this), always tend to redefine
> knowledge by neglecting
> the opinions of critics and accepting those of the
> defining ones (often
> without proof). from this view, it seems like ANY
> attempt to define
> knowledge has to be "repressive" against someone.
> take the catholic church
> in europe in the medieval ages for example.
> knowledge can so easily be
> misused, when it is based upon opinions and not
> facts (so, redefined).

  Well, this is a complex dynamic and many people have
spent thier lives trying to explain and/or "solve" it
and all I can say is that using some kind of thought
system or belief to marginalize others and "opress"
them is of course, wrong.  These opressive systems are
usually characterized by the limiting of access to
"knowledge".  It also seems that increasing the means
to trade information does not increase the total
amount of "knowledge".

> i really wonder how this database handles contrary
> points of view. do they
> give different meaning a kind of "weight" or
> "propability factor". to
> reflect the situation of the real world, i would
> suggest a mixture of
> random and a link to "culture profiles". we are
> getting close to where we
> don't want to get.

  It doesnt handle contrary points of view.  As I
said, lenat plans on consilidating and discrepencies
or multiplicity.  If Cyc does take off, I would love
to see what would happen if religious fundamentalists
got thier hands on this stuff.  Another interesting
scenario with the use of this technology, would be if
there were in fact huge multiple databases of
knowledge.  We could then pit the AI's against each
other and allow them to interrogate themselves
automatically and give us a readout of thier
fundamental differences.

> if you want to read more about how to define what's
> a fact and what's
> nonsense, what is DECIDED to be real (as part of the
> reality), i recommend
> the book "troika" by the strugatzky brothers
> (russian scifi authors). in
> german it is available as part of the fantastic
> "fantastische bibliothek"
> by suhrkamp verlag.

  Hmm is there publication in English?  HAs anyone
ever read the Polish Sci-Fi author Stanislaw Lem?  he
has some really interesting stuff( his most known is
Solaris )...

  -josh