Mary-Lou Harding on Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:05:03 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] FW: Shimon Peres, Foreign Minister of Israel, to Keynote the Entertainment Globalization Initiative, Oct. 1-3, 2001, Beverly Hilton Hotel,co-Located with Digital Hollywood Los Angeles

Title: FW: Shimon Peres, Foreign Minister of Israel, to Keynote the Entertainment Globalization Initiative, Oct. 1-3, 2001, Beverly Hilton Hotel, co-Located with Digital Hollywood Los Angeles

This is my first post to nettime, and I do feel it would be of interest to some members.
I've managed to become added to an events list and received the following this morning. I find the concept of an 'entertainment globalisation initiative' chilling to say the least. Looking at the relevant website, my immediate reaction is, unsurprisingly, that despite transparent attempts to balance the debate with a topic entitled Media and Ethics: Balancing Human and Social Concerns with Global Corporate Expansion.......this is just all about how to transfer offline domination of entertainment channels in all markets online. I'd appreciate nettimers thoughts on this...and the seemingly bizarre naming of Shimon Peres as keynote speaker....