karen eli0t on Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:43:10 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Media Circus is almost here!

sorry for the x-posting...

-- http://www.antimedia.net/mediacircus/ --

Media Circus is a gathering of people who create, consume, critique and
distribute media content that challenges, questions, expresses and
celebrates our culture,
our society and the way we live.

The event features a variety of participants including DJ Toupee, Geert
Lovink, Jason Gibson, John Hughes, Lachlan Musicman, Leanne Minshull, MC
Heroine,
Naomi Klein, Nicole Biftek, PhucItUp, Scott Mcquire and many others...
But the most important participant is YOU, so we'd love to see you here
in Melbourne.

Come to Melbourne, Australia on Thursday 12th July for the Media Circus
Launch at the Public Office (100 Adderley St West Melbourne).
The Media Circus 2001 will happen Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th July
2001 at the Trades Hall, Carlton (Cnr Victoria & Lygon St).

The program guide (which is still morphing) is available from
www.antimedia.net/mediacircus/ - check it out for full details.

Join the announce-list
Send an email to mc-announce@lists.myspinach.org with the word
'subscribe' in the subject line

--the full rant on the Media Circus--

Media Circus is a gathering of people who create, consume, critique and
distribute media content that challenges, questions, expresses and
celebrates our culture,
our society and the way we live.

The media is everywhere. Deals, ideas, ideology, websites, porn,
breaking news, films, positions vacant, knowledge, technologies. It's
all around us. Just as we
tend not to think about where milk comes from, we can forget to
interrogate the processes through which media is made. Homogenised and
pasteurised or
non-genetically-modified? It's all mediated.

There is little doubt that the large media corporations with their
diverse interests exert an overwhelming amount of influence and control
over the way our world
works. This is reflected upon and critiqued by academics and others in
privileged ghettos, but this detail is often contained inside their
sanctioned structures.

We know from our direct experience that the media manipulates and
distorts reality, that it misrepresents and influences priorities and
that it disempowers and
attempts to confuse us with choices we do not ask for. And we know that
the media should belong to us, the public, and not to a handful of
transnational
corporations.

The Media Circus will include a broad group of people to develop
networks and share and exchange information, knowledge, skills and
tactics. We need to reclaim
the media space and continue fostering a bottom-up media culture which
will break us free from the illusions which attack and prototype us
every day.

We need to tell our own stories and what better place to empower
ourselves than at the Circus. For the event to be a success, it is
essential that the
audience-presenter boundaries are broken. Everyone is a participant.

The Media Circus was first held in Melbourne in September 1999. See the
webbed archive. (http://www.antimedia.net/mediacircus/main99.htm)

Media Circus 2001 will be happening in Melbourne on the 12th, 14th and
15th July. 2001, and will be comprised of screenings, discussions,
forums and
exchanges. The days will be packed, but there will be spaces for
autonomous gatherings and networking.

It is hoped that this event will help create an origin from where more
Media Circus events can be held to continue the development of a media
culture in Melbourne
and other networked locations.