Sean Healy on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:31:37 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Planet destroyed; film at 11

heya thanks "tarikh korula" ;-)

saved me from replying to this....

> Well, you *infer* quite wrong. We *have* had gene modification in some form
> for thousands of years now. To deny otherwise is to deny the facts.

and made me laugh at the same time :

you couldn't get a stalk of wheat to fuck a dragon fly, so there were some
real limitations to genetic modifications. and native americans didn't seem
to care too much about patent law.

Pointing to our history of gene modification is a common argument put forward
in favour of gene modification, but denies the current possibilities for
mixing species from different species groups....

In research for a genetics article 3-4 years ago, I came across tobacco
plants that had firefly genes in them to make them glow in the dark, and
tomatoes with fish (salmon?) genes to help them stay frozen in the
supermarket delivery trucks longer... do vegetarians eat these?

maybe we'll get corn with super-protein to save the hungry, *and* manage to
avoid all superweeds, environmental disasters and weird mutant events that'll
make DDT seem a watery beer....

we'd have to be very cautious to get there tho, which is what Tarikh is
getting at i suppose....

it's attempted patenting of the food chain is what concerns me the most...

and this is a good place to find out more....
http://www.geneethics.org/

sean
http://www.octapod.org.au/s/articles.html