McKenzie Wark on Wed, 23 May 2001 06:09:30 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> no people.

Doug Henwood points out that 'nature' is often used as an explanation
for the social world, whereas I had made the opposite point, namely
that nature documentaries often treat the animal world as if it behaved
according to human assumptions.

A better way of putting it might be that there's a traffic in metaphors
between the human and natural worlds. Each locks the other into a
certain notion of 'normality'. You sure don't see documentaries about
multipartner homosexual behaviour among monkeys as part of the
norm.

I was reading recently about the rhizosphere, a biological realm made up
of fungus and micro organisms that can be found in the soil, and seems to
play a distributive role in relation to spreading nutrients among the trees
that tap into it. A biological welfare state.

Alan Sondheim's 'no people' is a useful text in just plain rejecting the
metaphorical baggage that connects the animal and human worlds, and
rejecting it from a speaking position in language that is, paradoxically,
the aniaml's. Sondheim uses the animal's speaking position to say no to
what we would ahve it speak. Kinda neat, i thought.

ken wark