Ododita on Sun, 20 May 2001 22:11:31 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Fwd: The South and Ameri(kkk)a for Theorists

Dear Alan and Bruce,

I very much appreciate both of your thoughts on the subject of America (or
"Amerikka" as some prefer to spell it).  I am an African who has lived most
of my life in the USA (24 years in the midwest, 2 years in New England, 10
years in New York and now 1 year in the south- in Florida).  Living in the
northern part of the US, and especially New York has tainted my vision of
what Ameri(kkk)a is.  I am now experiencing Ameri(kkk)a in a very fresh way
living here in the South.  I have to say that I am more than shocked and
amazed at what I am experiencing down here.  All the rascist myths and
stories told to me about the south really does exist here ("it's 2001
people!!").  The resignation of the general African American public down here
in the face of all the (caucassian) secret societies that control business
and government is upsetting, but very understandable.  Who wants to loose
their job, get assaulted, or worse (none of these things may ever happen, but
the possiblity of the abuse of power can lay heavy on the mind, and
ultimately play a trick on you- it's the concept of 'First World Voodoo').
This network of power is the very system that helped Bush win/steal the White
House.

Small example:  I purchased a used BMW recently, and since have been stopped
3 times by police in the first month of owning this car.  The very first time
I was stopped was in the first 2 minutes of driving the car off the used-car
lot to get it inspected before purchasing it!  I called the car dealer and
told him what happened, that they stopped me because the licence plate tag
had been expired- the car dealer to his amazement said that he had been
driving it for months like that without ever being stopped (the used car
dealer is caucassian).  And it's always the same excuse by the police, "Oh,
we punched in your plate number wrongly and had another description/driver
for this car....sorry...."

Poverty in the south is also high-  Culturally, intellectually, and
economically.  The general food is bad (this is unbelievable); cultural
institutions lack integrity; old and somewhat exquisite architecture is
demolished for malls and prefab construction.  Brain-drain is of great
occurence here as well, since middle-income jobs pay very little when
compared to the north.  As is typicall, one has to go to more ethnic/rural
based circumstances to find interesting cultural life, but then you risk your
life or mental health due to difference (i.e., race and class, unless you are
of the same race/class situation- yuppies and the poor also don't mix well,
as we know).

Guilt is play out in an interesting way here.  I think that the abundance of
churches down here (and I do mean an ABUNDANCE!) might play into balancing an
unspoken awareness of the great horror and devastations caused by slavery to
the African American people (and Native American people) by southern
caucassians.  It is interesting to look into their (southern caucassian)
faces and imagine/see their ancestry that owned slaves.  Again, it was mostly
the wealthy plantation owners that owned slaves, but all caucassians
benefited from the slave-system at that time in Ameri(kkk)an history.
Actually, this situation is not too far from that of Nazi Germany and the
horrors of the Holocaust, where some citizenry have absolved their guilt and
responsibility by saying that at the time they did what they were told, or
that they didn't personally kill any Jews.  So in the south the people here
continue to walk like sheep to their baptist ministries, their christian
churches, and so forth to wash off 200 plus years of sins against humanity.

I don't know how long I'll be living down here, but I am gaining a greater
insight on Ameri(kkk)a as a whole- Both the good (yes, there is great good
here too in AmeriCa!), as with the bad.  I think it is best to be critical
and open to both.  I think Bruce's response has the benefit of time, and
Alan's preceding comments to sound more diplomatic when it comes to
discussing the good and the bad of Ammeri(kkk)a.  But I very much admire the
courage and caring of both Alan and Bruce for stating their very direct
truths.  Thank you!

-O.D. Odita