Milan Lukic on Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:54:08 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Lessons from the SDMI Challenge

hey
FLX!
tHnX 4 the material!
g e a r w h o r e

reprazent! reprazent! reprazent! reprazent! reprazent! reprazent! reprazent!

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Felix Stalder" <
stalder@fis.utoronto.ca>
To: <
nettime-l@bbs.thing.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2001 5:43 PM
Subject: <nettime> Lessons from the SDMI Challenge

http://cryptome.org/sdmi-attack.htm ]

felten@CS.Princeton.EDU>
sdmi-paper-info@CS.Princeton.EDU

jerwin@osf1.gmu.edu>
dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/sip/)
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/sip/sdmi/)

majordomo@cs.princeton.edu; the message body should contain the line
> "subscribe sdmi-paper-info".
>

> 20 April 2001. Thanks to Anonymous

> [Letter, 3 pp.]
>
> MATTHEW J. OPPENHEIM, ESQ.
> Address illegible
>
> RIAA
>

> April 9, 2001
>
> Professor Edward Felten
> Department of Computer Science
> Princeton University
> Princeton, NJ 08544
>
> Dear Professor Felten,
>
> We understand that in conjunction with the 4th International Information
> Hiding Workshop to be held April 25-29, 2001, you and your colleagues who
> participated in last year's Secure Digital Music Initiative ("SDMI")
Public
> [...]
> research team to enforcement actions under the DMCA and possibly other
> federal laws.
>
> As you are aware, the Agreement covering the Public challenge narrowly
> authorizes participants to attack the limited number of music samples and
> files that were provided by SDMI. The specific purpose of providing these
> encoded files and for setting up the Challenge was to assist SDMI in
> determining which of the proposed technologies are best suited to protect
> content in Phase II products. The limited waiver of rights (including
> possible DMCA claims) that was contained in the Agreement specifically
> prohibits participants from attacking content protected by SDMI
> technologies outside the Public Challenge. If your research is released to
> the public this is exactly what could occur. In short, you would be
> facilitating and encouraging the attack of copyrighted content outside the
> limited boundaries of the Public Challenge and thus places you and your
> researchers in direct violation of the Agreement.
>
> In addition, because public disclosure of your research would be outside
> the limited authorization of the Agreement, you could be subject to
> enforcement actions under federal law, including the DMCA. The Agreement
> specifically reserves any rights that proponents of the technology being
> attacked may have "under any applicable law, including, without
limitation,
> the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act, for any acts not expressly
> authorized by their Agreement." The Agreement simply does not "expressly
> authorize" participants to disclose information and research developed
> through participating in the Public challenge and such disclosure could be
> the subject of a DMCA action.
>
> We recognize and appreciate your position, made clear throughout this
> process, that it is not your intention to engage in any illegal behavior
or
> to otherwise jeopardize the legitimate commercial interests of others. We
> are concerned that your actions are outside the peer review process
> established by the Public Challenge and setup by engineers and other
> experts to ensure the academic integrity of this project. With these facts
> in mind, we invite you to work with the SDMI Foundation to find a way for
> you to share the academic components of your research while remaining true
> to your intention to not violate the law or the Agreement. In the
meantime,
> we urge you to withdraw the paper submitted for the upcoming Information
> Hiding Workshop, assure that it is removed from the Workshop distribution
> materials and destroyed, and avoid a public discussion of confidential
> information.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> [Signature]
>
> Matthew Oppenheim, Secretary
> The SDMI Foundation
>
> cc: Mr. Ira S. Moskowitz, Program Chair, Information Hiding Workshop,
Naval
> [...]
>
> 3 The Watermarking Schemes
>
> In this section, we describe our attack(s) on each of the four watermark
> challenges (A,B,C,F). Our success was confirmed by emails received from
> SDMI's oracles.
>

> Fig. 1. The SDMI watermark attack problem. For each of the four watermark
> challenges, Sample-1, sample-2, and sample-3 are provided by SDMI sample-4
> is generated by participants in the challenge and submitted to SDMI oracle
> for testing.
>
> Figure 1 provides an overview of the challenge goal. As mentioned earlier,
> there are three audio files per watermark challenge: an original and
> watermarked version of one clip, and then a watermarked version of a
second
> clip, from which the mark is to be removed. All clips were 2 minutes long,
> sampled at 44.1kHz with 16-bit precision.
>
> The reader should note one serious flaw with this challenge arrangement.
> The goal is to remove a robust mark, while these proposals appear to be
> Phase II watermark screening technologies [4]. As we mentioned earlier, a
> Phase II screen is intended to reject audio clips if they have been
> compressed, and presumably compression degrades a fragile component of the
> watermark. An attacker need not remove the robust watermark to foil the
> Phase II screen, but could instead repair the modified fragile component
in
> compressed audio. This attack was not possible under the challenge setup.
>
> 3.1 Attack and Analysis of Technology A
>
> A reasonable first step in analyzing watermarked content with original,
> unmarked samples is differencing the original and marked versions in some
> way. Initially, we used sample-by-sample differences in order to determine
> roughly what kinds of watermark- ing methods were taking place.
> Unfortunately, technology A involved a slowly varying phase distortion
> which masked any other cues in a sample-by-sample difference. We
ultimately
> decided this distortion was a pre-processing separate from the watermark,
> in part because undoing the distortion alone did not foil the oracle.
>
> The phase distortion nevertheless led us to attempt an attack in which
both
> the phase and magnitude change between sample 1 and sample 2 is applied to
> sample 3. This attack was confirmed by SDMI's oracle as successful, and
> illustrates the general attack approach of imposing the difference in an
> original-watermark pair upon another media clip. Here, the "difference" is
> taken in the FFT domain rather than the time domain, based on our
> suspicions regarding the domain of embedding. Note that this attack did
not
> require much information about the watermarking scheme itself, and
> conversely did not provide much extra insight into its workings.
>
> A next step, then, is to compute the frequency response H(w) = W(w)/O(w)
of
> [...]
be
> able to find a mark in a subclip of music, without any assistance
initially
> aligning the mark with the detector's hopping pattern. Again, an analysis
> of the first second revealed a pattern of echo pairs that appeared to
> repeat every 16 frames, as outlined in figure 3. The delays appear to fall
> within six general categories, each delay approximately a multiple of 1/4
> millisecond. The exact values of the delays vary slightly, but this could
> be the result of the phase distortion present in the music.
>

> Fig. 3. The hypothesized delay hopping pattern of technology A. Here two
> stretches of 16 frames are illustrated side-by-side, with observed echoes
> in each frame categorized by six distinct delays: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 times
> 0.00025 sec. Aside from several missing echoes, a pattern appears to
repeat
> every 16 frames. Note also that in each frame the echo gain is the same
for
> both echoes.
>
> The reader will also note that in apparently two frames there is only one
> echo. If this pattern were the union of two pseudorandom patterns chosen
> from six possible delay choices, two "collisions" would be within what is
> expected by chance.
>
> Next, there is the issue of the actual encoded bits. Further work shows
the
> sign of the echo gain does not repeat with the delay-hopping pattern, and
> so is likely at least part of an embedded message. Extracting such data
> without the help of an original can be problematic, although the patent,
of
> course, outlines numerous detector structors which can be used to this
end.
> We developed several tools for cepstral analysis to assist us in the
> process. See [2] for in introduction to cepstral analysis; Anderson and
> Petitcolas [1] illustrate its use in attacks on echo hiding watermark
> systems.
>
> With a rapidly changing delay, normal cepstral analysis does not seem a
> good choice. However, if we know that the same echo is likely to occur at
> multiples of 16/50 of a second, we can improve detector capability by
> combining the information of multiple liftered2 log spectra.
>
> ____________________
>
> 2 in accordance with the flopped vocabulary used with cepstral analysis,
> "liftering" refers to the process of filtering data in the frequency
domain
> rather than the time domain. Similarly, "quefrencies" are frequencies of
> ripples which occur in the frequency domain rather than the time domain.
>

> Three detector structures are shown in figure 4. In all three, a
collection
> of frames are selected for which the echo delays are believed to be the
> same. For each, the liftered log of an FFT or PSD of the frame is taken.
In

6
> are the two FFT magnitudes for 1000 samples at 98.67 sec. Also shown is
the
> difference of the two magnitudes. A spectrum notch around 2800Hz is
> observed for some segments of samp2b.wav and another notch around 3500Hz
is
> observed for some other segments of samp2b.wav. Similar notches are
> observed in samp3b.wav. The attack fills in those notches of samp3b.wav
> with random but bounded coefficient values. We also submitted a variation
> of this attack involving different parameters for notch description. Both
> attacks were confirmed by SDMI oracle as successful.
>

> Fig. 6. Technology-B: FFT magnitudes of samp1b.wav and samp2b.wav and
their
> difference for 1000 samples at 98.67 sec.
>
> 3.3 Attacks on Challenge C
>
> By taking the difference of samp1c.wav and samp2c.wav, bursts of
narrowband
> signal are observed, as shown in Fig. 7. These narrow band bursts appear
> be centered around 1350 Hz. Two different attacks were applied to
Challenge
> C. In the first at- tack, we shifted the pitch of the audio by about a
> quartertone. In the second attack, we passed the signal through a bandstop
> filter centered around 1350Hz. Our submissions were confirmed by SDMI
> oracle as successful. In addition, the perceptual quality of both attacks
> has passed the "golden ear" testing conducted by SDMI after the 3-week
> challenge.
>

> Fig. 7. Challenge-C: Waveform of the difference between samp1c.wav and
> samp2c.wav.
>
> 3.4 Attack on Challenge F
>
> For Challenge F, we warped the time axis, by inserting a periodically
> varying delay. The delay function comes from our study on Technology-A,
and
> was in fact initially intended to undo the phase distortion applied by
> technology A. Therefore the perceptual quality of our attacked audio is
> expected to be better than or comparable to that of the audio watermarked
> by Technology-A. We also submitted variations of this at- tack involving
> different warping parameters and different delay function. They were
> confirmed by SDMI oracle as successful.
>
> 4 The Non-Watermark Technologies
>
> The HackSDMI challenge contained two "non-watermark" technologies.
> Together, they appear to be intended to prevent the creation of "mix" CDs,
> where a consumer might compile audio files from various locations to a
> writable CD. This would be enforced by universally embedding SMDI logic
> into consumer audio CD players.
>
> 4.1 Technology D
>
> According to SDMI, Technology D was designed to require "the presence of a
> CD in order to 'rip' or extract a song for SDMI purposes." The technology
> aimed to accomplish this by adding a 53.3 ms audio track (four blocks of
CD
> audio), which we will refer to as the authenticator, to each CD. The
> authenticator, combined with the CD's table of contents (TOC), would allow
> a SDMI device to recognize SDMI compliant CDs. For the challenge, SDMI
> provided 100 different "correct" TOC-authenticator pairs as well as 20
> "rogue tracks". A rogue track is a track length that does not match any of
> the track lengths in the 100 provided TOCs. The goal of the challenge was
> to submit to the SDMI oracle a correct authenticator for a TOC that
> contained at least one of the rogue tracks.
>
> The oracle for Technology D allowed several different query types. In the
> first type, an SDMI provided TOC-authenticator combination is submitted so
> a that user can "understand and verify the Oracle." According to SDMI, the
> result of this query should either be "admit" for a correct pair or
> "reject" for an incorrect pair. When we attempted this test a
SDMI-provided
> pair, the oracle responded that the submission was "invalid." After
> verifying that we had indeed submitted a correct pair, we attempted
several
> other submissions using different TOC-authenticator pairs as well as
> different browsers and operating systems3. We also submitted some pairs
> that the oracle should have rejected; these submissions were also declared
> "invalid." Though we alerted SDMI to this problem during the challenge,
the
> oracle was never repaired. For this reason, our analysis of Technology D
is
> incomplete and we lack definitive proof that it is correct. That having
> been said, we think that what we learned about this technology, even
> without the benefit of a correctly functioning oracle, is interesting.
>
> ____________________
>
> 3 Specifically, Netscape Navigator and Mozilla under Linux, Netscape
> Navigator under Windows NT, and Internet Explorer under Windows 98 and
> 2000.
>

> Analyzing the Signal Upon examination of the authenticator audio files, we
> discovered several patterns. First, the left and right channels contain
the
> same information. The two channels differ by a "noise vector" u, which is
> vector of small integer values that range from -8 and 8. Since the
> magnitude of the noise is so small, the noise vector does not
significantly
> affect the frequency characteristics of the signal. The noise values
appear
> to be random, but the noise vector is the same for each of the 100
provided
> authenticator files. In other other words, in any authenticator file, the
> difference between the left and right channels of the ith sample is a
> constant fixed value u[i]. This implies that the noise vector u does not
> encode any TOC-specific information.
>
> Second, the signal repeats with a period of 1024 samples. Because the full
> signal is 2352 samples long, the block repeats approximately 1.3 times.
> Similarly to the left and right channels of the signal, the first two
> iterations of the repeating signal differ by a constant noise vector v.
The
> difference between the ith sample of the first iteration and the ith
sample
> of the second iteration differ by a small (and apparently random) integer
> value v[i] ranging from -15 to 15. In addition, v is the same for each of
> the provided authenticator files, so v does not encode any TOC-specific
> information.
>
> Third, the first 100 samples and last 100 samples of the full signal are
> faded in and faded out, respectively. This is illustrated in Figure 8. The
> fade-in and fade-out are meaningless, however, because they simply destroy
> data that is repeated in the middle of the file. We conjecture that this
> fade-in and fade-out are included so that the audio signal does not sound
> offensive to a human ear.
>

> Fig. 8. In a Technology D Authenticator, the signal fades in, repeats, and
> fades out.
>
> Extracting the Data Frequency analysis on the 1024 sample block shows that
> almost all of the signal energy is concentrated in the 16-20kHz range, as
> shown in Figure 9. We believe this range was chosen because these
> frequencies are less audible to the human ear. Closer examination shows
> that this l6-20kHz range is divided up into 80 discrete bins, each of
which
> appears to carry one bit of information. As shown in Figure 10, these bits
> can be manually counted by a human using a graph of the magnitude of
signal
> in the frequency domain.
>

> Fig. 9. Magnitude vs. Frequency of Technology D Authenticator
>

> Fig. 10. Individual Bits From a Technology D Authenticator
>
> Close inspection and pattern matching on these 80 bits of information
> reveals that there are only 16 bits of information repeated 5 times using
> different permutations. using the letters A-P to symbolize the 16 bits,
> these 5 permutations are described in Figure 11.
>
> ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
> OMILANHGPBDCKJFE
> PKINHODFMJBCAGLE
> FCKLGMEPNOADJBHI
> PMGHLECAKDONIFJB
>
> Fig. 11. The encoding of the 16 bits of data in Technology D
>
> Because of the malfunctioning oracle, we were unable to determine the
> function used to map TOCs to authenticators, but given an actual SDMI
> device, it would be trivial to brute force all 216 possibilities.
Likewise,

http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US05940135__.

http://www.sdmi.org/download/FRWG00022401-Ph2_CFPv1.0.PDF.

http://www.hacksdmi.org.