Nicholas Hermann on Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:12:10 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] I want to start a new life

Dan Schneider writes:
Date: 	4/24/01 9:08PM
Subject: 	Video

Just rewatched the video of Genius 2000 tonight. I must say, in light
of
the passage of time I think the piece might be a perfect time capsule
piece. As a slice of what people thought of was gonna happen it does a
good (if unintentionally hilarious) job. That dingbat professor id
just
so emblemic of all that's wrong with intellectuals in our era. He had
about 3 sentences of thought stretched over 15 or so minutes.
So, other than these e-groups, what are you up to? I mean, there must
be
more than just cultivating e-buddies- be they sane (Seekins) or snotty
(Kosick)- what is your purpose now? What became of your sequel? Is
rebelliousness your raison d'etre? Or do you hope to accomplish
anything?
I ask in all seriousness. Later, DAN

PS- if it's any consolation the video is better than the crap Yoko Ono
has at the Walker- & she got Kim Gordon to shill for her. Yikes. DES

+++

Max's reply:

Well thanks for the re-watching Dan.  I agree it is something of a
capsule, which was one of my goals, to take a few fragments of pre-21st
century life and see what they turn into.  I really appreciate your
kindliness toward what was my first long video and the first thing I
tried persistently to get to some audience other than my mumsie.

And no I am not retiring.  I have no budget but I did take a class at
Minneapolis Telecommunications Network cable access and will have a
variety culture-show this summer.  Briggs is relocating here to help
with scheduling and color balance, as well as "creative" content issues.
 We'll have anything on the show we can, probably shitty at first but
Briggs was a hit on cable access in Portland ME so he might give the
show a good boost of professionalism.  I think the show will be called
"Just Roll," and we will highlight the sights and sounds of Minnesota in
order to ingratiate ourselves to KSTP, where one day I hope to intern
under Randy Meier.  We'll do segments with names like "You and Jesse,"
"The Party Life," "Lakeshore Property," and "Six Minutes With Schneider"
(if you want).

One day when I have money I will re-edit the 50 hours of pre-1999
footage I have and make a better, more worthwhile "Second Edition."
That day is not here yet.  MTN will be a resource but I got to find some
time to get things underway down there and maybe take another class
before I can use their editing suites.  (The class I took was Basic
Studio Production which gives me access to a studio, a couple chairs, a
few cameras, some sound effects, and a titler.  They will air my show
though if it's good; they're desperate for content.)

I'm still on the listgroups because it seems to help me psychomentally.
 You might not believe it but there is a huge schism in the artworld
about me and my filthy ideas.  Lawsuits being planned or threatened,
quarter being asked but not given, no comment sluicing out of every
prominent internet art-mouth.  The undergrounders like me however
because I promise cakes and ale for all once we steal the keys to the
farmhouse.  I am actually off the really prestigic lists because all the
elect artists hate me for insulting their dumb projects about
Data-Nudism and so forth that the Walker buys for nine large.  I have
publicly promised to get the internet chief at the Walker fired if he
doesn't review my video by May 1, and the threat is at least somewhat
legitimate.  I even got my Mom to write a postcard to the Walker asking
them to review my video, still no comment.  And they have watched it, a
man named Steve Dietz watched it and bought me lunch to talk it over but
won't say dick in an email.  He wants me bridled and bitted and I'm not
having it.

I also plan to slap together a functioning prose style and write a book
about everything but 9 to fiving and a repressed childhood are slowing
me down.  I'll do it though, give me till the Fourth of July.

I'm also doing some stuff with Indymedia MN and will be showing the
video at a couple local galleries in May TBA.  To make a long story
short, I'm still hacking away with my valuable hunting hatchet.

Max

PS--A wonderful guy named Brad Brace uses the word "shill" all the
time, and the authorities hate him for it but he holds out hope for me.
He once sent me a book called "How To Get Publicity" only half-jokingly
I think.  He says I should write a novel.  Brad has a good site you
might like, it's on Google I think.  But be careful, he's a bad man.