davidg on Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:11:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] the next N5M

In Amsterdam people are currently working on a N5M4. I think it is important we now take a step back and look at what has happened in the past years. Should Next5Minutes continue on the path it has taken, or is it necessary to practice some self reflection? I want to take this opportunity to say it might be a very bad idea to continue with it at all. We have to look for real ways to support media activism instead of indulging in yet another promotional feast for a few institutions and individuals.
What happened since the first N5M in 1993? What began as an investigation into something we called 'tactical television' was soon lifted to another level altogether. The format and subject of the conference turned out to be a very promising cover to claim funds and create interesting profiles internationally. Also I have to take the blame for that, but it is not too late to turn the tide. I saw to my horror how the vulnerable field of activism was made believe that by coming to Amsterdam and performing for free on endless panels it was supporting a community that strived for alternative culture. In reality Next5Minutes had nothing to do with alternative culture after its first successful meeting. Tactical Media have become an export product of basically a few Amsterdam institutions, De Waag prominently leading them. Tactical Media have become a vehicle to attract business and to make it flourish.
Now the Next5Minutes business is moving to New York. The same tactics we have seen in Amsterdam are now applied within the context of an American activist culture, a culture that is having a hard time as it is. One could maybe argue that the commercial motives of the main organizers of N5M fits perfectly within this specific local environment. That they are necessary strategies of a present day activism. Should we not keep our strategies free from the characteristics of its targets though? I plea we