cisler on 16 Apr 2001 16:06:00 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> disposal of surplus buddhas

> From: Bill Spornitz <spornitz@pangea.ca>
> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:06:56 -0500
> To: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
> Subject: <nettime> disposal of surplus buddhas
>
> Is it just me, or is it generally okay to destroy buddhas (I mean,
> from a buddhist perspective, like?)

Well, he did not want to be worshipped, though lots of his followers seemed
to forget that.

The interesting story, and perhaps nettimers might have the details (I
don't) is that the Taliban were upset with the cultural mission that came to
discuss the statues but would not allow the restauration funds be used for
aiding people/refugees.  It was at this moment that they decided to trash
the statues. In short, the tolerate-no-icon  reason given by the clerics was
not the main reason.

Anyone know more about this?