Sascha Pichler" (by way of richardbarbrook) on 9 Apr 2001 14:57:18 -0000

[Nettime-bold] C R I S I S W E B N E W S: New ICG report on Macedonia

C R I S I S W E B   N E W  S
---------------------------
Friday, 6 April  2001

Macedonia ---------------------------
The Macedonian Question: Reform or  Rebellion

ICG Balkans Report Nr.109

The eruption of violence in Macedonia should  be a wake-up call to the
Skopje government and the international community that  far-reaching reform
can no longer be delayed. The government's claim that the  Albanian
rebellion was simply imported from Kosovo does not stand up. The
unwillingness of the Macedonian government, and the Slavic majority, to
support  a program of genuine integration has been a major contributor to
Albanian  unrest. Endemic corruption, manipulated census procedures and
questionable  citizenship requirements have also contributed to the crisis.
The Slavic  majority must be ready to challenge the notion that Macedonian
identity is  synonymous with the Slavic population.

 --> Please see <http://www.crisisweb.org>www.crisisweb.org  for the full
report. This report was released at 21.00 on 5 April  2001.