{ brad brace } on 9 Apr 2001 08:56:39 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: questions (fwd)

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Josephine Bosma wrote:

> hi Brad
>
> Well, it is hard to say whether I know enough of your work, and that is
> exactly the reason I want to as you a few things. I'll just ask some
> things and lets see how it goes. As you might know I like to ask simple
> questions, especially when the topic or subject is difficult   ;) Don't
> take that as an insult please. These questions are a start, so I will
> formulate others on your answers.
>

> 1. Whats your education and how does this and other things in your
> background relate to/influence your work ?

I've a ridiculous amount of often-disappointing (primarily) arts-education
(even a MFA *shudder*)  -- I've studiously attempted to assist in
reforming (antiquated/entrenched) art-teaching institutions. I still have
hope.

In addition to teaching, consulting, occasional/informal exhibitions and
some financial art-support online
<http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/buy-into.html>, I often find engaging
employment and sustainable income with printing/publishing industries
(electronic prepress) and new media.

> 2. What is the most important aspect of the 12hr project for you, and is
> this aspect supported by the, for want of a better term, 'monotony' or
> 'slowness' of the work?

Hmmm... I'd have to say it's the open, accessible sense of
encompassing/shifting continuity... which is why I previously mentioned
microtonal music as a possible corollary. But see
<http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/12hr-isbn-jpeg.html> for a fuller
description/response.

> 3. Do you feel your work is in any way related to mail art?

... Only in so far as correspondence art is about informal networks and
independent production and dissemination of multiples.

> 4. You agitate against the artworld and any branche or relation of it a
> lot. I find this kind of odd, since you are quite present in on line
> communities or mailinglists engaged in art. What is this love/hate
> relationship with art for you?

What positive things can any (non-institutionalized) artist have to say
about the openly abusive, unrepentant, manipulative, swindling,
self-serving, reprehensible old-Artworld... Where else but online would
our objections be heard and 'alternatives' embraced? We love art/artists
and will not lazily/silently see them abused/thwarted.

> These are the first ones. let me know if you have any trouble at all
> with them. hope we make something good.

Tell me something about you Josephine.

> Regards

> *

The 12hr-ISBN-JPEG Project                >>>> since 1994 <<<<

+ + +         serial           ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/b/bbrace
+ + +      eccentric          ftp://ftp.idiom.com/users/bbrace
+ + +     continuous       ftp://ftp.teleport.com/users/bbrace
+ + +    hypermodern      ftp://ftp.rdrop.com/pub/users/bbrace
+ + +        imagery   ftp://ftp.pacifier.com/pub/users/bbrace

      News://alt.binaries.pictures.12hr ://a.b.p.fine-art.misc
  Reverse Solidus: http://www.teleport.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html
                   http://www.eskimo.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html
           Mirror: http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/

 { brad brace }   <<<< bbrace@eskimo.com >>>>  ~finger for pgp

Note: all "Teleport" addresses (web/ftp/email) are being eliminated:
no thanks to Earthlink scum. Please choose from listed alternates.