Beatrice Beaubien on 4 Apr 2001 03:10:29 -0000

[Nettime-bold] a long spring and summer awaits, was Re: <nettime> stupid post,query

Hello Alan,

It is with a certain amount of temerity that I respond as a non-American.

The US has a long-standing tradition of wanting to go its own way. Witness its declining any participation in UNICEF (the reasons do not bear repeating) as well as the substantial debt it owes to the United Nations.

The lone wolf approach to international relations seems to be the populist American position, revisited in each Republican presidency, and never completely reversed when the Democrats are in the White House.

Given all this, the Kyoto recidivism is hardly unexpected, given Bush's allegiances.

Biti
Toronto

>I'm writing this post out of ignorance, despair, anger. I will confess
>readily to the first, even the idiocy of it.
>
>What the federal government is doing to the United States and the rest of
>the world is horrifying. Most of the people I know, admittedly left-lean-
>ing, feel powerless to stop it. Our own freedoms are being taken away; the
>environment is left to rot; minorities are left out of any real decision-
>making; and some of us, like myself, think we may be on the brink of war -
>cold war, if not hot.
/snip