Nmherman on 9 Mar 2001 05:22:14 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Fwd: [Genius2000Conference2000] WE ARE VERY SORRY

>>> LettersToNarcissus@nabou.com 03/07/01 11:36PM >>>

True art is communicative, not elitist!

++

I was just discussing with my supervisor the role of IQ in creativity.
For example, did Van Gogh have a high IQ?  My own personal IQ is fairly
high I think, but that may be due to my education as a youngster.
Creativity is a little different.  I think Keats may have had a rather
low IQ, and maybe Einstein as well.

Obviously Genius 2000 does not say that you have to have a high IQ to
fulfill your genius.  In fact, Genius 2000 is fairly opposed to the
individual IQ philosophy of genius.  You might even say they are
ideological opposites.

This takes a lot of pressure off the individual creative person if
their goal is to enhance all human genius in an egalitarian, democratic
fashion.  Many people call such a view outdated Enlightenmentism, but
I'm not sure I agree.  I believe there are oppressive concepts,
conventions, and systems whose chief effect is to degrade human genius
in general and thus make people more governable.

But I'm concerned, you might say, about Narcissus' webpage.  It may be
that she or he is trying to demystify something that I'm still unable or
unwilling to approach with direct responses.

How many people on the list think maybe Max Herman's main obstacle to
high productivity is his own over-emphasis on his own abilities and
weaknesses?  I would confirm that when I set those types of
considerations aside I am more creative; I see things more freshly and
make connections among disparate phenomena more freely.  I don't feel as
burdened, responsible, driven.

Put another way, one of the worst things for human cognitive abilities
and their full development is enforced convention.  When you discard
convention you can do a lot more.  Genius 2000 must, it seems, favor
such an independent method.  And I'm hoping it can be argued
convincingly that the method doesn't sacrifice quality or "the Good,"
like the elitists say it will.

How should Genius 2000 deal with elitism?  Is it simply too squeamish
to accept its own elite status, or does it propose a serious
alternative?  Maybe elitism is something we just have to fly by and
trust to luck.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/