olia lialina on 23 Feb 2001 21:40:33 -0000

[Nettime-bold] net art history (digest)

Josephine Bosma wrote:

> err.... ascii paparazzi? Sorry dear Olia, this is too insulting to come
> from you. Anyway, the biggest problem net art journalists and observers
> have is that we are too few with too much to do.

Josephine, I don't underestimate your work. The paragraph you refer to
is full of love and respect. And I do enjoy interviews as a genre (I
love dialogues).

But it is a pity that interviews dominate the critics' output.

The interview approach cultivates stars, not ideas. And stars,
especially superstars, can be very lovely targets. You can pronounce
them dead whenever you like. Ideas live longer.

Interviews are easy to read. They catch a moment. They let future
readers touch the past. A picture develops. History's created. But it's
a history of artists' arrogance, self promotion, mood changes.

---

One interview provokes another. Critique is reduced to updates and data
collection.
I get mail from people writing their PhD, MA, BA in net art or
net culture. They ask questions like this: