{ brad brace } on 20 Feb 2001 10:09:51 -0000

Re: [Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime>net.art-history

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Pit Schultz wrote:

> [...]
>
> for the history net.art provided its own interpretation,
> the 'classics of net.art'. the historification was a
> constant theme, so many of the works are beeing done
> in the sense of "it will have been seen as" (futur II)

Quite accurate... The vast majority of 'creatives' online then and now,
were indeed gleefully side-stepping the oldartworld's incestuous,
oppressive institutions and its parasitical 'critical careerists' (I liked
"ascii paparazzi!" =)). The "classic net-artists" were merely a few of the
first to (regressively) behave online like our regular
"make-art-for-museums artists," and sure enough, the whole ol' tired
insidious art-institutional entourage was quick to swallow the bait. But
how interesting is that?

/:b