Xeni Jardin on 17 Feb 2001 03:49:53 -0000

[Nettime-bold] NIKE chain email... spammy, but on target ( :

forwarded with permission

-----Original Message-----
From: ShawnWolfe [mailto:beatkit@zaius.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 2:33 PM
To: feelpro@hotmail.com
Subject: Just Forward It.

Nike now lets you personalize your shoes by submitting a word or
phrase
which they will stitch onto your shoes, under the swoosh.  So Jonah
Peretti
filled out the form and sent them $50 to stitch "sweatshop" onto his
shoes.

Here's the responses he got... fun and games with Nike...

> From: "Personalize, NIKE iD" <nikeid_personalize@nike.com>
> To: "'Jonah H. Peretti'" <peretti@media.mit.edu>
> Subject: RE: Your NIKE  iD order o16468000
>
> Your NIKE iD order was cancelled for one or more of the following
reasons:

> 1) Your Personal iD contains another party's trademark or other
> intellectual property
> 2) Your Personal iD contains the name of an athlete or team we do
not have
> the legal right to use
> 3) Your Personal iD was left blank.  Did you not want any
personalization?
> 4) Your Personal iD contains profanity or inappropriate slang, and
besides,
> your mother would slap us.
>
> If you wish to reorder your NIKE iD product with a new
personalization
> please visit us again at www.nike.com
>
> Thank you, NIKE iD
>

> From: "Jonah H. Peretti" <peretti@media.mit.edu>
> To: "Personalize, NIKE iD" <nikeid_personalize@nike.com>
> Subject: RE: Your NIKE  iD order o16468000
>
> Greetings,
>
> My order was canceled but my personal NIKE iD does not violate any
of the
> criteria outlined in your message.  The Personal iD on my custom
> ZOOM XC USA running shoes was the word "sweatshop."
>
> Sweatshop is not:
> 1) another's party's trademark,
> 2) the name of an athlete,
> 3) blank, or
> 4) profanity.
>
> I choose the iD because I wanted to remember the toil and labor of
the
> children that made my shoes.  Could you please ship them to me
immediately.

> Thanks and Happy New Year, Jonah Peretti
>

> From: "Personalize, NIKE iD" <nikeid_personalize@nike.com>
> To: "'Jonah H. Peretti'" <peretti@media.mit.edu>
> Subject: RE: Your NIKE  iD order o16468000
>
> Dear NIKE iD Customer,
>
> Your NIKE iD order was cancelled because the iD you have chosen
contains,
as

> stated in the previous e-mail correspondence, "inappropriate
slang".  If
> you wish to reorder your NIKE iD product with a new personalization
please
> visit us again at nike.com
>
> Thank you, NIKE iD
>

> From: "Jonah H. Peretti" <peretti@media.mit.edu>
> To: "Personalize, NIKE iD" <nikeid_personalize@nike.com>
> Subject: RE: Your NIKE  iD order o16468000
>
> Dear NIKE iD,
>
> Thank you for your quick response to my inquiry about my custom ZOOM
> XC USA  running shoes.  Although I commend you for your prompt
customer
> service, I disagree with the claim that my personal iD was
> inappropriate slang.  After consulting Webster's Dictionary, I
discovered
> that "sweatshop" is in fact part of standard English, and not slang.
The
> word means: "a shop or factory in which workers are employed for
long
hours
> at low wages and under unhealthy conditions"  and its origin dates
from
> 1892.  So my personal iD does meet the criteria detailed in your
first
> email.
>
> Your web site advertises that the NIKE iD program is "about freedom
> to choose and freedom to express who you are."  I share Nike's love
of
> freedom and personal expression.  The site also says that "If you
want it
> done right...build it yourself."  I was thrilled to be able to build
> my own shoes, and my personal iD was offered as a small token of
> appreciation for the sweatshop workers poised to help me realize my
> vision.  I hope that you will value my freedom of expression and
reconsider

> your decision to reject my order.
>
> Thank you, Jonah Peretti
>

> From: "Personalize, NIKE iD" <nikeid_personalize@nike.com>
> To: "'Jonah H. Peretti'" <peretti@media.mit.edu>
> Subject: RE: Your NIKE  iD order o16468000
>
> Dear NIKE iD Customer,
>
> Regarding the rules for personalization it also states on the NIKE
> iD web site that "Nike reserves the right to cancel any personal iD>
> up to 24 hours after it has been submitted".  In addition, it
further
> explains:  "While we honor most personal iDs, we cannot honor every
one.
> Some may be (or contain) other's trademarks, or the names of certain
> professional sports teams, athletes or celebrities that Nike does
not have
> the right to use.  Others may contain material that we consider
> inappropriate or simply do not want to place on our products.
> Unfortunately, at times this obliges us to decline personal iDs that
may
> otherwise seem unobjectionable.  In any event, we will let you know
if we
> decline your personal iD, and we will offer you the chance to
> submit another."  With these rules in mind, we cannot accept your
> order as submitted.  If you wish to reorder your NIKE iD product
with
> a new personalization please visit us again at www.nike.com
>
> Thank you, NIKE iD
>

> From: "Jonah H. Peretti" <peretti@media.mit.edu>
> To: "Personalize, NIKE iD" <nikeid_personalize@nike.com>
> Subject: RE: Your NIKE  iD order o16468000
>
> Dear NIKE iD,
>
> Thank you for the time and energy you have spent on my request.  I
have
> decided to order the shoes with a different iD, but I would like to
make
one