Nmherman on 16 Feb 2001 02:20:49 -0000

[Nettime-bold] One Writer's Testimonial

One writer's testimonial: That tear is exactly what Genius2000 is about. If Max Herman is not given some public acknowledgement in this regard, then we will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is a plot against us all!
When I first became aware of the Genius2000 Network,I had just begun to  feel embarrassed over the fact that I was starting to have poems and reviews regularly accepted by Nationally recognized, "B" list and low "A" list literary journals. As an act of spiritual atonement, I had begun walking the streets of Portland, Maine, late at night, stoned behind the eye-balls on weed, leaving copies of my poems under people's windshields late at night, along with startling facts about Global Injustice. During the election, I made myself into a public gadfly for Nader, and definitely managed to convince at least ten percent of my creative writing students to vote for him. I knew what Dali meant when he said: "The only difference between myself and a crazy man is, I'm not crazy." I was finally a full grown man. Then my old friend from Graduate School, Max Herman sent me a copy of his video, Genius2000, and it was like discovering an aesthetic affinity group. I knew that everything I knew !
!
!
was right. Now Max and I both are more dangerous than ever, and soon, more and more people are going to realize that everything they know is right.

I am writing a book about Max. It is going to be called: "My friend Max is smarter than you are. And you're just as smart as he is!" It will be a nice companion piece to my novel, "The Last Honest Juvenile Delinquent Tells All: A Memoir Filled with Bragging, Exaggeration, and Outright Lies."

I really think that whoever is handing out credit for bringing art into the public sphere should pin a silver star on Max Herman's head (not because silver is second place, either, but because silver is much cooler than gold.)

That's my opinion, and it is a richly informed one.

Genius2000Conference2000@yahoogroups.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/15/2001 4:36:46 PM Central Standard Time,
> ben@bseymour.freeserve.co.uk writes:
>
> > What I'm looking for -
> >  and maybe it's like chasing the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the
> >  rainbow - is work that at least makes a tear in the art space bubble.  That
> >  would be an interesting incursion of art into public space....but I
> >  realise it's virtually a paradox.
>
> Don't like to toot my own horn but one of my most famous works--
> http://www.geocities.com/genius-2000/SFMOMA82700.html--has created exactly
> such a tear.  In fact, the rumor mill is warning me that David Ross is filing
> a defamation lawsuit....
>
> Where the bee sucks there suck I,
>
> Max Herman
>
> ps--don't expect this to get past byfield, he hates my guts.

<FONT COLOR="#000099">eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
</FONT><A HREF="http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/0/_/_/_/982282903/"><B>Click Here!</B></A>