ICG Email (by way of richard barbrook) on 5 Feb 2001 21:12:23 -0000

[Nettime-bold] C R I S I S W E B N E W S

C R I S I S W E B   N E W S
---------------------------
Thursday, 1 February 2000

Kosovo
--------------
In the sharply divided communities of Kosovo, interfaith dialogue offers
a way to reconciliation. Religion in Kosovo, the International Crisis
Group's latest report on the Balkans, finds that contrary to common
belief, religion has not been a direct cause of conflict and calls on
the United Nations Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK) to establish and fund a
permanent Kosovo Interfaith Council. The report concludes that while
there are bitter social and political divisions between Kosovo's Serbs
and Albanians, some religious leaders of all faiths, Orthodox, Muslim
and Catholic, are prepared to enter a dialogue. However UNMIK's support
is crucial to give the talks appropriate standing. UNMIK should also
provide adequate funding for the repair and protection of all religious
monuments, and ensure that education in Kosovo remains secular.

--> see www.crisisweb.org for the full report