Artemisia Gallery on 1 Feb 2001 18:47:21 -0000

[Nettime-bold] RE: Artemisia Linda Kramer Award Recipient

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FROM:  Artemisia Gallery
       RE:  Linda Kramer Award Recipient Deanna Lee

February Exhibition
                        Show Dates: February 1st  to February 24th
 Opening Reception: Friday, February 2nd, 5-8 PM

In 1996, former Artemisia member Linda Kramer, recognizing the need to
provide more free exhibition opportunities to emerging artists, provided

the gallery with a bequest. The Linda Kramer Fund supplies one free
exhibition space per year to an under-represented woman artist from the
Chicago area.

This year's Linda Kramer Award Recipient is Deanna Lee.

Deanna Lee's beautiful and obsessive paintings and sculptures merge and
transform the realistic rendering and the cartoon.  A recent graduate of
the MFA in Painting and Drawing at The School of the Art Institute of
Chicago, Deanna is the recipient of this year's Linda Kramer Fund Award
for Exhibition.

About her own work, Deanna says:   "My work is informed by processes of
multiplicity (i.e. duplication, repetition, copy) and their implications
for the ideas of consumption and the unique.  Moving from individual
paintings to arrangements of multiple painted objects, my recent work
explores temptation, resistance, and ambivalence in a visual form.  I am
interested in the potential for the work to play multiple roles:  as
objects
of desire and objects denied, as symbol and contradiction of the symbol,

as parody and homage.