Jaka Zeleznikar on 17 Jan 2001 15:21:08 -0000

[Nettime-bold] INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE - [Vdor21/Break21 festival]

Vdor21/Break21
IV international festival of independent young artists, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 18-22 May 2001

INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE
* invitation is open from 10 January 2000 to 5 March 2001
* selection will be made by 12 March 2001
* any material sent to the organiser's address before the closing date

will be taken into consideration for selection
* any incomplete application or an application received later than the

closing date will be rejected
* applicants will be notified of the selection by 20 March 2001
* artists selected to participate at the festival will be refunded travel

expenses (to 600 km train tickets, other plane tickets - economic class),

three overnight stays and three meals a day
* artists will not receive any payment
* rejected applications will not be returned to the sender; only for

special request
* age of artist: under 30 years

APPLICATION FORM
* part one: GENERAL INFORMATION
* part two (by sections): PRESENTATION MATERIAL

PART ONE: GENERAL INFORMATION
1. Section for which you apply
2. Surname and name of head of the project
3. Address (street, town, and country)
4. Telephone, fax, e-mail
5. Date of birth
6. Other people collaborating on the project
7. Where did you learn of this invitation to participate at the festival?
8. Curriculum vitae (education, scholarships, executed projects, awards,

other)
9. Home page

Data under points 1 to 7 should be presented on a single sheet of paper,

A4 format; the same applies for C.V. (point 8).
For any further information please contact:

Zavod Studentski kulturni center
VDOR 21 / BREAK 21, www.break21.com
KERSNIKOVA 6
1000 LJUBLJANA

tel = ++ 386 (0)1/ 413 70 10 extension 226
fax = ++ 386 (0)1/ 2319 448 (subject: Vdor 21/Break 21)

Contact persons: Karla Zeleznik and Jozko Rutar
e-mail:
karla.zeleznik@kiss.uni-lj.si
jozko.rutar@kiss.uni-lj.si

* COMICS
--------

SUBJECT: Break Comic to Art

SELECTION:
* selected works will be presented at an exhibition organised by the

festival and published in a comics book
* selection will be made by Igor Prassel

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
* unlimited long comic strip on A4 format drawn in black and white and

written in English; please do not send the originals
* please do not send comics by e-mail!!!

* VISUAL ARTS
-------------

SUBJECT: In time and space
MY REALITY (doesn’t equal) YOUR REALITY

Comprehension of time and space in art is connected with social,

political and technological changes. Postmodernism directed capital from

elite to mass culture and caused quick changes of names, directions,

materials etc. Virtual world created a new space that additionally

connects artists from different parts of the world and diminishes the

comprehension of space as problematic. Everyone understands time and

space subjectivily, but it is desired that projects would be connected

with your own time and space reality.

* selection will be made by Petja Grafenauer and Jadranka Ljubicic

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
* a short description of the artwork with specification of filed of

visual arts: painting, sculpture, photography, print art, installation,

video; artworks may be designed in the field of multimedia
* precise measures
* concept (the idea)
* location (gallery of public place)
* technical requirements: specify material and tools required to execute

the artwork; if your artwork is a complex one, please notify how much

time is required to put it up

* NET ART OR/AND NET ACTIVISM
-----------------------------

* NET ART
Net art that we would like to present on festival Vdor/Break 21 is

understood as art activity/work, which uses net technologies as its media

and/or is connected with net culture-art.

* NET ACTIVISM
Net activism which we would like to present on festival Vdor/Break 21 is

understood as activity in progress for changes inside of societies, to

spread and put attention on alternative ideas/results/approaches on the

fields of live we use to comprehend as unquestionable or as corporational

and society criticism. Additional condition is, that activism is

functioning (also) by net and (at least partially) and uses the media of

art.

* Please find other requirements which are valid for all the categories

included in this call.

* Please apply your work by on-line entry form at:
http://www.verygoodnetart.org/break/

* Works should be in English, Slovene or bi- or multi- lingual with

English part.

* selection will be made by Jaka Zeleznikar

* FASHION DESIGN
----------------

SUBJECT: Break to Art

fashion, originality, time and space, body and soul

A/FASHION COLLECTION

SELECTION
* selection will be based on the criteria of concept, innovation in

material, printed design, patterns and shapes, originality of the pieces
* 10 to 20 collections will be selected from the received applications
* selected collections will be presented at a fashion show
* fashion show will be organised by the festival, including lighting,

music, choreography, make-up, hair style
* selection will be made by Mateja Benedetti

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
* a short description of the collection in 4 to 10 sentences
* a sketch in colour of each piece in the collection – the number of

collections should be limited to 1 to 5, and the number of pieces in each

collection to 2 to 6 – on A4 format, or photographs of finished pieces
* a technical sketch of each piece
* a detailed description of material and technique used in making the

pieces and accessories (bags, hats, jewellery, etc)
* for shoes takes care the designer (number 39, 40, 41)

* PERFORMING ARTS
-----------------

Our intention is to present inovative, noncoventional, creative and

experimental performing creativity of young artists who do not work under

the auspices of a state art institution or an art academy. As students,

they are allowed to present their projects independently of these

institutions.

SELECTION
* in this section, the festival will present projects created in the

field theatre, dance, performance and mixed genres. The verbal component

should not be dominant because the festival is international.
* the duration of a project is not limited, dance performances may

contain several short choreographies
* selection will be made by Katja Praznik

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
* unedited video recording of the entire performance or its major part,

specifying the duration of the performance if the applicant comes from

abroad; local applicants are asked to inform the selectors when and where

the performance can be seen. The selectors will take into account the

specific characteristics of a live performance and video recording when

making the selection.
* other material such as reviews, leaflets, photographs, etc that can be

used in making the selection and the catalogue of the festival
* technical requirements of setting-up the performance
* audio-visual requirements of setting-up the performance
* stage and spatial requirements of your performance: dimensions of the

stage, an ambient set-up, specific requirements of the scene, etc
* number of people participating in the project, specifying functions

they have in the project

* MUSIC
-------

In music field on festival Vdor/Break 21 we would like to invite young

inovative music groups and individuals. All musicians from popular to

experimental music are welcome. Especially we are looking forward for

musicians that can offer something extraordinary to audience and are full

of free creative spirit. We won’t mind if you have a sense of humor.

SELECTION
* we welcome all: a wide range of genres, known or new at the end of the

century, as well as their fusion, characterised by a young and fresh

spirit of its authors
* we welcome projects that combine music with other artistic media (film,

video, theatre, etc)
* we welcome applicants whose music could be used as soundtrack in other

sections of the festival: fashion shows, visual art exhibitions, etc)
* selection will be made by Ana Vipotnik

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
* a studio or demo tape of the latest album at least 40 minutes long
* VHS recording of a concert (theatre play or performance)
* technical requirements concerning sound and lighting, other equipment

that needs to be provided by the organiser
* description of a place suitable to perform a concert (size of the

stage, acoustics, etc)
* promotional material: description of the group's work, its members,

photographs, logo, reviews published in magazines, etc
* an outline programme of the concert (play or performance) to be shown

at the festival

* FILM
------

We welcome films of any format, length, or subject matter. Films may be

acted, documentary, experimental, or animated. Video art will not be

included in the selection. We would like to invite established young

artists as well as unknown ones. We will select authors that stand out

for their non-conventionality, impact, critical view, ingenuity, etc.

SELECTION
* selection will be made by Igor Prassel – animation film
* Sasa Goropevsek – other films

THE SECOND PART OF THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN
* a copy of the film on VHS; if the film is selected, we will require a

35mm or 16mm copy, or a copy in beta format
* technical data on production and the original format of the film

information on the author and collaborators
* some information on how and why the film was made a short description

of the story
* photograph/s taken on the scene of the shooting or scenes from the film
* photocopies of published reviews
* the selected artist must send the copy for projection to festival until

15th of April
* the copy of selected films (VHS) remains in the possession of the

festival