Faith Wilding on 16 Dec 2000 18:38:41 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: This artwork degrades women.

I would like to thank Simon Penny for his piece on Alexander Brandt's
work at ISEA, and I would like to undescore all that Rachel Schreiber
said in her thoughtful response. Though I was not at ISEA i followed the
meeting of Faces there with interest.
Indeed cyber- and other forms of feminism are not dead though they are
often silenced and marginalized by official festivals (even though these
festivals often represent themselves as being cutting edge, avantgarde,
or activist). As Next Sex at ARS clearly showed, and ISEA corroborated,
there is an urgent need for cyberfeminist organizing, critique,
intervention, and for proactive work which does not always have to take
the form of protesting the depredations that occur every day. I am glad
Simon Penny voiced his honest indignation. We need so many more voices
to speak and act up.
in solidarity, Faith Wilding