Josephine Bosma on 15 Dec 2000 15:40:21 -0000

Re: [Nettime-bold] This artwork degrades women.

Simon,

I think the issues you raise are very important, but also very tricky. I
once wrote a critical text about Mouchette, a forty year old woman
pretending to be a thirteen year old girl that was raped by her father.
Mouchette was proudly announcing her own suicide, and the whole flirt
with something horrible for the sake of attention made me wonder why
people liked this work at all. In the end my review only gave her more
attention though, it worked for instead of against the work. Many people
for some reason seem to be looking for that which shocks critics, that
which is 'scandalous'. It is a pretty difficult mechanism to deal with
in some ways.

best

*