Greg GIANNIS on 16 Nov 2000 00:53:51 -0000

[Nettime-bold] petition - Please read (fwd)

>Subject: petition - Please read
>
>Petition to United Nations
>Dear Friends:
>This is something that we as women and essentially as human beings need
>to support - I don't know if this is going to help but take 3 minutes out
>of your life to do your part.

Madhu, the government of Afghanistan, is waging a war upon women.  Since
The Taliban took power in 1996, women have had to wear burqua and have
been beaten and stoned in public for not having the proper attire, even if
this means simply not having the mesh covering in front of their Eyes.
One woman was beaten to death by an angry mob of fundamentalists for
accidentally exposing her arm while she was driving. Another was stoned to
death for trying to leave the country with a man that was not A relative.

Women are not allowed to work or even go out in public without a male
Relative; professional women such as professors, translators, doctors,
Lawyers, artists and writers have been forced from their jobs and Stuffed
into their homes.  Homes where a woman is present must have their
windows painted so that she can never be seen by outsiders.
They must wear silent shoes so that they are never heard. Women live in
fear Of their lives for the slightest misbehaviour. Because they cannot
work, those without male relatives or husbands are either starving to
death or begging on the street, even if they hold Ph.D.s.

Depression is becoming so widespread that it has reached emergency
levels. There is no way in such an extreme Islamic society to know the
suicide rate with certainty, but relief workers are estimating that the
suicide rate among women, who cannot find proper medication and treatment
for severe depression and would rather take their lives than live in such
conditions, has increased significantly.
There are almost no medical facilities available for women. At one of the
rare Hospitals for women, a reporter found still, nearly lifeless bodies
lying motionless on top of beds, wrapped in their burqua, unwilling to
speak, eat, or do anything, but slowly wasting away. Others have gone mad
and were seen crouched in corners, perpetually rocking or crying, most
of them in fear. One doctor is considering, when what little medication
that is left finally runs out, leaving these women in front of the
President's residence as a form of protest.

It is at the point where the term "human rights violations" has become an
understatement.  Husbands have the power of life and death over their
women relatives, especially their wives, but an angry mob has just as much
right to stone or beat a woman, often to death, for exposing an inch of
flesh or offending them in the slightest way. Women enjoyed relative
freedom, to work, dress generally as they wanted, and drive and appear in
public alone until only 1996. The rapidity of this transition is the main
reason for the depression and suicide; women who were once educators or
doctors or simply used to basic human freedoms are now  severely
restricted and treated as subhuman in the name of right-wing
fundamentalist Islam. It is not their tradition or 'culture,' but it  is
alien to them, and it is extreme even for those cultures where
fundamentalism is the rule.
Everyone has a right to a tolerable human existence, even if they are
Women in a Muslim country.  If we can threaten military force in Kosovo
in the name of human rights for the sake of ethnic Albanians, citizens
of the world can certainly express peaceful outrage at the oppression,
murder and injustice committed against women by the Taliban.

STATEMENT:
In signing this, we agree that the current treatment of women in
Afghanistan is completely UNACCEPTABLE and deserves action by the United
Nations and that the current situation overseas will not be tolerated.

Women's Rights is not a small issue anywhere, and it is UNACCEPTABLE
for Women in 2000 to be treated as subhuman and so much as property.
Equality and human decency is a RIGHT not a freedom, whether one lives in
Afghanistan or elsewhere.

> [...]
>> >       288. Angelika Brudniak, Vienna, AUSTRIA
>> >       289. Marie-Theres Holler, Vienna, AUSTRIA
>> >       290. Barbara Peretti, Salzburg, AUSTRIA
>> >       291. Susanne Gordon-Oberhofer, Salzburg, Austria
>> >       292. Karin Pernegger, Nantes, France
>> >       293. David Michael Clarke, Nantes, France
>> >       294. Heidi Nikolaisen, Bergen, Norway
>> >       295. Lise Johansen, Tromso, Norway
>> >       296. Jeff Rechenbach, Cleveland, Ohio USA
>> >       297. Susan C. Pisha, Portland, OR USA
>> >       298. Ms. Charlie M. Clint, Portland, OR USA
>> >       299. Beverly Wilson Thornburg, Denver, CO USA
>> >       300. Sue Lowe, Austin, TX USA
>> >       301. Cheyenne Weaver, Austin, TX USA
>> >       302. Christine Walsh, Seattle, WA USA
>> >       303. Olivia Vlcek, Seattle, WA USA
>> >       304. Jenny Sayward, Seattle, WA USA
>> >       305. Diane Ste. Marie, WA USA
>> >       306. Jane Langenes, Seattle, WA USA
>> >       307. Sharon Chambers, Seattle, WA USA
>> >       308. Jackie Jackman, Ill, USA
>> >       309. Marcia Patience, Chicago, IL USA
>> >       310. K. Heaton, Kansas, USA
>> >       311. T. L. Essig, Lees Summit, MO USA
>> >       312. Erica Bourgeois, Vancouver, BC Canada
>> >       313. Nicci Bergunder, Vancouver, BC Canada\
>> >       314. Chief Kim Baird, Tsawwassen, BC Canada
>> >       315. Leah George-Wilson, North Vancouver, BC Canada
>> >       316. Stefany Mathias, Vancouver, BC Canada
>> >       317. David DeLeary, Toronto, ON, Canada
>> >       318. Debra Goldblatt, Toronto, ON, CANADA
>> >       319. Kelly Lamb, Toronto, ON, Canada
>> >       320. Carla Roblin Pryce, Toronto, ON, Canada
>> >       321. Theresa Taylor, Toronto, ON, Canada
>> >       322.  Leah Taylor Roy, Boston, MA, USA
>> >       323.  Jan-Marie Gundacker, Bradley Beach, NJ, USA
>> >       324.  Jane Wyker, Rye, NY US
>> >       325.  Barbara Berdon, NY, USA
>> >       326.  Carol Rickard, Longboat Key, FL, USA
>> >       327.  Sally C. Mahofski, Sarasota, FL, USA
>> >       328.  Katharine Graham, Manchester, MA, USA
>> >       329.  Thaddeus Beal, Somerville, MA USA
>> >       330. Vreni Blatter, Olten, Switzerland
>> >       331. Christoph Blatter, Olten, Switzerland
>> >       332. Marcel Hermans, Amsterdam, Netherlands
>> >       333. Cornelia Blatter, Amsterdam, Netherlands
>> >       334. Shauna Church, Brooklyn, NY, USA
>> >       335.  Jill Enfield, NYC, NY, USA
>> >       336.  Barbara Bell, NYC, NY, USA
>> >       337. Betsy Chory, Los Angeles, CA  USA
>> >       338.    Dody Dorn, Los Angeles, CA USA
>> >       339.  Britta Sjogren, San Francisco, CA, USA
>> >       340.  Cade Bursell
>> >       341.  Marisa Brugarolas, Murcia, Spain
>> >       342. Ana Buitrago, Madrid, Spain
>> >       343 Carlos Gonzalez, Amsterdam, Netherlands
>> >       344  Hanna Hedman, Paris, France
>> >       345 Charlotta Gustavsson, Stockholm, Sweden
>> >       346. Annika Cullberg, Stockholm, Sweden
>> >       347. Seppo Laine, Uppsala, Sweden
>> >       348.Hamedou Drammeh,Stockholm,Swedn
>> >       349. Jainaba Bah, Stockholm, Sweden
>>        350. Mary Cooper, Taunton, England
>>        360. Maarten van Perlo, Taunton, England
>>        361. Anna Jolly,Bristol, England
>          362. Naomi Waterman, Devon,England
>          363. Sally Stewart, Perth Australia
>          364. Ruth McMillan, Sydney, Australia
>	365.  Cindy Lee, Melbourne, Australia
>	366.  Lisa Robins, Melbourne, Australia
>	367.  Loretta O'Brien, Melbourne, Australia
>	368 Shiralee Saul, Melbourne Australia
>	369 Cade Wilson Saul, Melbourne, Australia
	371 Greg Giannis, Melbourne, Australia

>PLEASE COPY this email on to a new message, sign the bottom and forward
>it to everyone on your distribution lists. If you receive this list with
>more than 600 names on it, please e-mail a copy of it to:
>sarabande@brandeis.edu < >mailto:sarabande@brandeis.edu > >Even if you
decide not to sign, please be >considerate and do not kill the petition. >