m e t a on 24 Oct 2000 02:53:48 -0000

[Nettime-bold] http://meta.am/rand/

//

Advances in computer science would occur more rapidly if it weren't for one
thing: people.

"People are the single most limiting factor to the progress of computer
science," said David Tennerhouse, chief scientist with Darpa in a speech at
Mobicom, a mobile technology conference. "We need to get humans out of the
computing loop."

//

It's a well-known fact among neurobiologists that the brain processes
sights and sounds in milliseconds while even the simplest thought can take
several seconds to form.

//

pay attention to distractions.

//

Not only does the PlayStation II boast incredible raw graphics power, it
also has the power to simulate the physical properties of real world
objects, including the behavior of animals and humans.

//

"We need to get humans out of the computing loop."

//

For if we always give in to the easy fix of visual stimuli, our sensual
minds, like any muscle left unexercised, will atrophy.

//

breathe more deeply.

//

In a recent survey, CommCore and two other firms that specialize in
high-tech communications counseling found that one in five office workers
use e-mail as a way to avoid speaking to people in person -- even others in
the same office.

//

"Under Microsoft's present value structure," Moody writes, "the sole
measure of a person's worth is his or her ability to think analytically."

//

"We are doing everything we can to streamline and reduce the hits and
navigation paths to the information."

//

/