Deena on 30 Sep 2000 14:55:23 -0000

[Nettime-bold] [Fwd: articles and poems for publications]

Hi,

I apologize for the late forward, but I have been travelling constantly and have not been able to
keep up with my correspondance.  Would anyone know of a place to publish these articles on Africa?

Deena

--
------------
Deena Larsen

HANDSEN CHIKOWORE
HOUSE NUMBER 5227
GLEN-NORAH B
HARARE
ZIMBABWE

Dear Editor

My name is Handsen Chikowore and I am a young  man aged twenty three. I have
send my four poems and two articles which I hope you are going to publish.
Please reply me and inform me whether you will publish my articles or  not.
You can also refer  to someone whom you know can publish my articles by
either forwarding my articles to him or her or by send me his or her e-mail
address so that I will contact him or her.. There are four poems and two
articles God bless you. I  write articles to inform , educate ,entertain as
well as raising my standards of living when I am paid for my articles.
Please reply me. Thank you so much in advance.

1.CHURCHES RESPONDING POSITIVELY IN THE FIGHT AGAINST AIDS

The killer disease AIDS has  caused poverty in many African nations and
nearly one thousand  people are dying weekly in Zimbabwe s. Africa has the
highest number of people infected with HIV-Aids , with about 33.2 million
people , while Sub-Saharan Africa alone, Zimbabwe included , top the list
.Christians have come together  with ideas and solutions to reduce the
impact of AIDS in Zimbabwe as they have seen that it is not the government
alone which should fight against this deadly diseases but it is everyone’s
responsibility. This disease has affected people economically and one of the
most surprise thing is that there are many orphans who are struggling to
make ends meet after the death of their parents.

Some churches as they have seen that  Zimbabwe faces serious pressure on the
provision of public health sector services, have  assisted the government in
awareness campaign of this deadly disease by the provision of funds and
building clinics and hospitals. This means that apart from preaching ,
churches are playing a pivotal role in assisting the health sector. Other
individual christians , having seen the impact of Aids to the orphans ,
have formed  childrens homes for the orphans. These people have actually
demonstrated that christianity does not only mean going to church every
Sunday but it means showing  your christianity in societies where you live.

Some churches are identifying the poorest members in the society and are
assisting them with food and clothing . Other church members are pledging to
send orphans to school from primary education to secondary education which
is a great thing indeed. These principles and values which christians are
demonstrating should be done in other African countries where a lot of
people are dying of Aids. Christians should  continue with their teachings
on Aids and  encourage people abstain from sex before marriage.

2.“Africa has the strength and resources for all its people to lift
themselves out of poverty into a life of  prosperity and dignity.”
Poverty is a complex and multi-dimensional phenomenon involving people’s
lack of empowerment as well as their lack of income as basics. In terms of
natural resources , Africa is the world’s richest continent . It has fifty
percent of the world’s gold , most of the world’s diamond and chromium ,
ninety percent of the cobalt , forty percent of the world hydro-electrical
power , sixty five percent of the world’s manganese , millions of acres of
untilled farmland as well as other natural resources. Despite its wealth of
resources, Africa is  home to the world’s most impoverished people. Africa
which was a net food exporter , has become a net food importer since the
early 1960’s.

Firstly, environmental factors coupled with human activities have
contributed to poverty in Africa. These include drought, land degradation,
desertification and poor soil structure. Africa is a continent suffering
from degradation of its natural resources base through overcropping without
supply of appropriate inputs to the land, overgrazing and deforestation.
This damage, combined with the progressive depletion of much arable land in
Africa through continued cropping with little or no replenishment of plant
nutrients , has resulted in a loss of land productivity and contributed to
widespread  poverty and food insecurity. Tropical forests in Africa are
being lost at an escalating rate . Since large areas in all sub-regions of
Africa , except the centre have an arid , semi arid or dry subhumid climate
desertification affect food security and sustainable  livelihoods.
Dersertification also reduces the land available for production. For
instance , food production in Africa declined in the past decade due to
unavailability of arable land for agricultural purposes.

Poor soil structure also reduced food production in Africa. Due to this , a
large share of African population has become absolutely poor. Hunger and
undernutrition are widespread , particularly among women and children. Poor
methods of farming caused poverty in  Africa and these include overcropping
, monoculture , cultivation near river banks  as well as ploughing along the
slopes. These factors also affected the availability of water for  household
, food production and livestock. Since poverty is the deprivation of basic
necessities of life, these factors have deprived many African societies of
water and food.

Prosperity and dignity can and will be achieved in Africa by introducing
policy reforms .
Economic and incentives to farmers through price , trade and foreign
exchange liberalization , land tenure empowering women , promotion of role
of private sector in food production. There should be measures taken to
enhance production , distribution and storage of  food , research on modern
and traditional technologies to increase crop yields and livestock
productivity, strengthening extension services to reach a larger communities
of small farmers. Apart from that there should be improvement of input
supply services and credit facilities , improvement in transport and
communications as well as minimization of food losses through improved
processing and storage facilities.

Prosperity can also be achieved by establishment of national and regional
famine early warning mechanisms , creation of institutional activities for
responding to crises , such as relief and rehabilitation commissions , the
creation of emergency food reserves  and improvements in vulnerability
assessments aimed at better targeting most needy regions and households for
humanitarian assistance. There should be protection and enhancement of
productivity of natural resource base that constitute for many African
countries the capital for economic and social developments.

The other thing which must be done to get out of poverty are to sensitize
and secure commitments from the international community to support the
development and implementation of natural and sub-regional action programmes
to combat desertification , assist in formulating and establishing
innovative mechanism to channel resources to strengthen the efforts of local
communities in countries affected by drought and desertification.

There should be monitoring and controlling of methods of farming and those
found against the rules should dealt with. Stern measures should be
implemented to avoid unnecessary cutting down of trees. Other sources of
energy should be used in place of firewood such as biogas and solar energy.

In order to achieve prosperity in terms of water management, these measures
should be put in place and are reviewing and reform of national water
resources development and irrigation policies and strategies , including
water legislation and institutional reforms in such a manner that they are
compatible with broader national development and agricultural policies as
well as encouraging adoption of appropriate technologies , management
practices , economic incentives and institutional measures to increase water
use efficiency.

Other natural disasters such as  floods and winds also cause poverty in
Africa . These disasters causes homelessness and destroy clothing which in
turn causes poverty. Dignity  and prosperity can be achieved through
establishment of national and regional floods warning mechanisms.

Political instability and civil wars also causes poverty in  Africa. They
actually slow growth in food production and also prevent access to basic
commodities through disrupting transport and communications. In order to
reduce poverty associated with civil wars , Africans should be taught that
war is not the only solution but it adds more problems , sufferings , hunger
and starvation.

Poverty is also caused by the low status of women in many African societies.
Women who produce the bulk of food are not empowered. Eighty percent of
women in African rural areas have no access to land yet land is one of the
means for feeding the family
Since food is one of the basic needs of  life , women should be empowered
through access to assets and productive resources such as land , credit
facilities , technology training and markets as well as enabling them to
participate in political forces that shape their lives.

Shortage of shelter or accommodation is another thing causing poverty in
Africa. Quite a large number of people in Africa have no decent
accommodation . Some live in house made of plastics  where they do not have
enough blankets to keep them warm. The causes of shortage of shelter are the
demands for houses especially in urban areas. Economic hardships faced by
other African counties have forced people to live without decent
accommodation . Some live in areas where there are no  good sanitary
systems.
In order for dignity to be maintained , the government should build
multi-storey houses in urban areas. There is need for the government to
establish low income housing projects  so that the poor can afford to own
houses.

The killer disease AIDS have caused poverty in Africa in different ways.
These include over-stretching the few health facilities available and
therefore depriving other people of the health facilities. Many people in
Africa fail to access health facilities because of this disease. The other
way in which AIDS has caused  poverty in Africa include the death of many
breadwinners in the family living the children of tender ages to sustain
themselves.
The major vehicle to achieve significant health improvement will be health
sector reform in all countries in Africa. The major component of the reform
are improved financial resources mobilization, and allocation of improved
management of health services and resources as well as  increasing equality
to help the last village achieve a reasonable degree of health. The most
important condition or success of  health reform is country ownership of
both the reform process and programme. The reform needs to ensure an
adequate access by all populations to an essential level of care and support
services and result in resolution of country specific priority health
problem.

Unemployment is another major cause of poverty in Africa. For instance , in
Zimbabwe unemployment is around fifty percent. In order to reduce
unemployment , there should be an establishment of micro-finance project of
which the unemployed can start small income generating projects. Many people
especially women and youth should gain access to credit enabling them to
start income earning enterprises such as small farms and handicraft
industries. The primary approach to address this area must be through
measures , since direct assistance to individuals can only benefit a portion
of those in need. Improvements in both sides of the  supply demand are
needed for a better enabling environment for sustainable livelihoods.

Government systems cause poverty in Africa. This means that government need
to expand people’s choices and allow them to participate in decisions
affecting their lives. Systems of government that are required should
encourages peoples involvement in decision –making stimulate economic growth
and ensure that the benefits of that growth reach all segments of society.
Key things should be free and fair elections , freedom of association and
participation , an independent judiciary , bureaucratic accountability ,
freedom of information , effective and efficient public sector management
and government interaction with organisation of civil society.

Economic situations in some of African countries have contributed to
poverty.  High inflation , high interest rates and price increases of basic
commodities. Due to exorbitant prices of basic commodities , many people
fail buy the basic commodities an therefore causing poverty. In order for
dignity and prosperity to be achieved , the government should control prices
of basic commodities or subsidize. Economic reforms need to be further
deepened. There should be a programme set up to support the decentralisation
of rural development through the restructuring of agricultural extension
services for a greater participation of local communities. This include the
transfer of centralised functions to local and regional co-operation. There
should be human resources development to ensure access of vulnerable groups
to basic services.

Poverty of  unavailability of basic education for children is another thing
haunting Africa. Most children in Africa lack basic education. Since 1990,
slow but steady progress towards education for all has been made in most
regions of the world . Africa is the one outstanding exception. Despite the
critical importance of education , about half of the African adults are
illeterate. To achieve prosperity and dignity , due attention should be
given to skills training for unemployed urban youth , and the adults
literacy programmes and appropriate measures to sustain literacy through
different aspects of non-formal education. If present education trends
persist the number of illiterate or under-educated adults will grow , as
high proportion of children do not attend primary schools. The first step
therefore towards a long solution to this vicious circle of illiteracy is to
provide basic education for all. This will gradually reduce the number of
illiterates , produce students well prepared for further education and
provide the people with basic knowledge and skills.

Religion to a lesser extent has contributed to poverty in Africa. Some
churches do not allow its followers to go to the hospital and these deprive
members of the church access to health facilities. There are methods of
marriages which are still practiced by different societies in Africa whereby
children under the age of thirteen are forced to marry . This will actually
create poverty as they become mothers and fathers who will not able to feed
the family well and to give basic commodities to their families. Sometimes
they drop out of schools without acquiring basic education. In order for
dignity to be achieved churches which do not allow members to go to the
hospital must be banned and some methods of marriage which is against the
rights of the children must also be illegal.

Poverty can be better overcome if the poor themselves are mobilized and
allowed to choose suitable ways to improve their living conditions . The
best people placed to attack poverty are the poor themselves. Once mobilized
, people can themselves choose the direction in which they wish to move and
sources of their deprivation. Experience has shown that poor communities do
not need to be led. As opportunities emerge , they will produce their own
leaders and set their own pace. For development efforts to be sustainable ,
they must begin by fitting within the economic , cultural  and social
parameters established by communities .

Conclusively , poverty is the deprivation of basic necessities and in Africa
it is caused by land degradation , illiteracy , drought , deforestation ,
food insecurity , gender inequality and it can be eradicated through
establishment of microfinance for small businesses , introducing education
for all policy , women empowerment , drought management , land degradation
and desert control and soil quality improvement.

1. ECHOES OF AFRICA
Africa ,Africa Africa
Our beloved continent cries
Problems, troubles haunt the continent
This is the voice of the Africans

In Mozambique
Floods destroyed infrastructure
Outbreak of diseases haunt the nation
Roads and bridges are non -existent
Please help poor Mozambique

In Zimbabwe
We need investors
We want employment creators
Zimbabwe a country with resources
For those who need real investments

In South Africa
Thousands are dying weekly
We talk of AIDS daily
Orphans are increasing daily
We cry for God’s mercy

In DRC
We talk of war
Peace agreements being breached
We cry for peace in Africa
Peace peace in DRC

In Kenya
We talk of hunger and starvation
Emanating from prolonged drought
Food resources are scarce
We really need urgent help
This is the voice of Africa

2.POVERTY
Day in day out I am always suffering
No permanent place to sleep
Hunger, hunger my stomach complains
The mouth always dry
Bins are the sources of my food
Clothes are tattered and torn
When I cry for help , no one come to my rescue

Everyday I am always shouting
Begging in the city centre streets
Where the riches do their shopping
Sometimes I don’t because of weakness and hunger
They always scold me and neglect me

I walk barefooted
My teeth always dirt
My hair scruffy
No toothpaste and soap available
I use water from public places

My fellows go to school
Whilst I am busy walking in the streets
My relatives denied me
I am an opharn
I have no one to care for me

When I  seek help from churches
They say we have no money
They think I am insane
I hope one day in my life
God will rescue me
>From this bondage of poverty

3.CRY AFRICAN GIRL
Up in the azure sky
Shoots the sun’s rays
Rises to meet another day
Another promise
To me its not yet any hope
As each day brings more problems
Which trouble a thirteen year old girl

Setting alight fire early morning
Sweeping the sheets of dust and dirt early morning
A beast of burden for firewood so I am  bound
All those long distances I have to walk
A throbbing ever throbbing pain to my foot
With the baby clinging on my yonder back

The thorn infested forests
The meandering long walks to boreholes and wells
The back breaking dreary buckets full of water
Its so tiresome my body sweats
Its so punishing my body cannot endure

All African girls
Cry for your rights
The rape, torture and victimisation
Our life an eerie furnace of denied paradise
A sad song of denied education
I am so weary, Oh weary, So weary
A breath for fresh air cometh not
Don’t fall African girls