Nmherman on 26 Sep 2000 20:31:27 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Closing Week of the Genius 2000 Conference 2000

+++++++++++++++++

October 1 will soon be here, after which no more submissions will be accepted
by the judges.  Act now to make this the best Conference ever!  Send
submissions to nmherman@aol.com or check the Info link on
http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/Launch.html
Email submissions write "Rolling submissions" in the subject line.
Many thanks to the judges:  Simon Biggs, Corey Eiseman, JDKeller, Carter
Lebares, Jenn McCoy, Pat Mountain, and Eryk Salvaggio.
Thanks also to everyone who sent in work; best of luck!

+++++++++++++++++++++++

New jpg:  http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/MikeWatt.jpg

Mike Watt is a very socially conscious musician from the L.A. area.  He
played here in Mpls last night and I gave him a Special Edition Genius 2000
Video.  He also signed a flyer for me--Thanks Mike!  Anyone who gets a chance
to see him play should go, it's a good show.

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=Mike+Watt

+++++++++++++++

New Link for Terrence Kosick:

Many people have wondered and asked or written me: why should I believe
you and the teachings of Genius2000.? So many sales and religious hucksters
have promised me much but given me nothing. How can anyone
listen to and believe your claims that anyone can become a genius and
that you can teach them how. I hope that I can convince you both that I am a
genius and that I can teach you to become one.

 http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/HowtoBecomeaGenius2000genius.htm

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On August 27, 2000, two thousand Genius 2000 tickets were thrown off the
bridge in the atrium at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.  At least
seven photographs were taken.  No permission was asked or given by the Museum.

Each ticket was printed on standard copy paper and measured 2" by 2 3/4".  On
the front of the ticket is the Genius 2000 Network symbol; on the back was
the url www.geocities.com/~genius-2000.

Each ticket was hand-numbered by Max Herman with roman numerals.  At least
five of these tickets have been preserved.

--http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/Description.html
--http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/SFMOMA82700.html
--http://rhizome.org/object.rhiz?1866&r

To Participate:  send email to director@sfmoma.org; http@rhizome.org;
nmherman@aol.com; letters@sfbg.com; tom_tompkins@sfbg.com

David Ross has refused to comment and should be pressed to change his mind.

+++++++++++++++++++++

A very disturbing and ominous website:  http://www.tribecafilm.com/converge/

Protest against it using email to contactus@tribecafilm.com or by throwing
tickets at the business gathering itself (if you can afford a ticket).

++++++++++++++++++++

Join the Genius 2000 Conference 2000 listserv by sending a blank email to:

Genius2000Conference2000-subscribe@egroups.com

All topics permitted and encouraged.

+++++++++++++++++

Victoria Vesna now has a copy of the Video First Edition.  Ask her about it
by writing her at vv@ucla.edu, or by visiting her site
http://time.arts.ucla.edu/

"According to James Hillman, economics is the only effective syncretistic
cult remaining in the world today, our world's only ecumenical faith. It
provides the daily ritual, uniting Christian, Hindu, Mormon, atheist,
Buddhist, Sikh, Adventist, animist, evangelist, Muslim, Jew, fundamentalist
and New Ager in one common temple, admitting all alike. (Hillman,1995) As
information replaces working capital, so intellectual assets replace physical
ones -- the World Wide Web becomes the electronic marketplace where ideas are
shared, exchanged, bought and sold. It is an ideal environment for two most
very different participants -- conceptual artists and multi-national
corporations. At the core of conceptualist aspirations is a move away from
the object toward establishing the primacy of the idea, while mulitnational
corporations always defied borders and have moved from physical product to
intellectual capital.

"Intellectual capital, as defined by Thomas Stewart, is -- knowledge,
information, intellectual property and experience -- that can be put to use
to create wealth. It is collective brainpower. Knowledge has become the
preeminent economic resource--more important than raw material; more
important, often, than money. (Stewart, 1997) With this in mind, I propose
development of an Information Personae, a mixture of agent and avatar
technologies, engineered to address the following questions: If knowledge and
communication are fast becoming a primary economic asset, what are the
implications for creative communities working on the World Wide Web? How does
collective knowledge manifest itself when not directly related to corporate
structure, specifically in relation to creative communities [sic].Can we
become conscious of how information that represents us travels? If artwork is
no longer constrained by physical space, objecthood and gallery systems, what
forms may creative knowledge assume? How is creative knowledge positioned in
the world of electronic commerce? And finally, building on the heritage of
conceptual artists and contemporary philosophers who question authorship,
institutions and the role of commerce in the arts, how do creative concepts
figure in electronic economies?"

--Victoria Vesna, from "Marketplace"

For more information on Max Herman's appearance on C-Span, go to

http://video.c-span.org:8080/ramgen/odrive/c2k092200_nader.rm

Item Last:

As Ralph Nader said, it's important to document your indignation.  Be sure to
do so in whatever way you know how.

Here's to world peace,

Max Herman