Doug Henwood on 24 Aug 2000 23:51:28 -0000

[Nettime-bold] RE: <nettime> The New "Left" - OR why inequality is politicallyuseful

McKenzie Wark wrote:

>Which is why i've been writing about soap operas, game shows, pop songs --
>and the Labor party. All expressions of actual popular desire, and as such
>more interesting to me that the abstract theoretical constructs of old
>line leftism. The prolertariat, etc.

Droll spelling of proletariat.

I'm curious, though, just how soap operas and game shows are
"expressions of actual popular desire," since as far as I know
they're produced by show business professionals. They may stoke
popular desires, but are you claiming that the corporate producers of
these entertainment products are themselves authentically down with
the people, or have some privileged access to their desire? And is
there only one popular desire? That almost sounds like one of those
abstract theoretical constructs of old line leftism.

Doug