porculus on 20 Aug 2000 08:00:08 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> L.A. Times column, 8/14/00 -- Tech Policy

> The issue that we've been fighting in the U.S. is that we (many
> progressive activists who work on science policy) believe that basic
> scientific research should be INCREASED, but -- the all-important but --
> supplemented with and guided by "national goals" that are democratically
> derived. Republicans don't believe in national goals for science policy.
> They don't want any intermediate or "bridge" programs between basic
> research and the private sector. This is an old, Vannevar Bush-era model
> of science policy that other nations abandoned long ago.

it's an old monacal argument now to say fundamental research programs are quite
infected by operation ones i.e.the investment for research is now so enormous for
hoping resuslts there is long time ago research have socialized goals i.e. guided by
militaro industrial decision maker. anyway every monk knows also pentagon is an huge
financier of non profitable begining programs for increase the profitability of
private one, and please in this context it's a joke to speak about democratically or
non democratically defined goal : this partnership have prooved its formidable
efficiency and as never down the age : may be the sher raison of suprémacy of US.
btw as it is question of 'virtual machine' i would speak about an extraordinary one:
the star war by reagan, and this one is not without close relationship with this
question. a cocktail of bluff/science/$/fictionnal social analysis. monacaly yours