Axel Bruns on 28 Jul 2000 06:42:07 -0000

[Nettime-bold] M/C Call for Contributors: 'game'

                   M/C - A Journal of Media and Culture
                     <http://www.api-network.com/mc/>

                          Call for Contributors

The University of Queensland's award-winning journal of media and culture,
M/C, is looking for new contributors. M/C is a crossover journal between
the popular and the academic, and a blind- and peer-reviewed journal.

To see what M/C is all about, check out our Website, which contains all the
issues released so far, at <http://www.api-network.com/mc/>. To find out
how and in what format to contribute your work, visit
<http://www.api-network.com/mc/contribute.html>.

We are now accepting submissions for the following issue:

               'game' - article deadline: 18 September 2000
               issue editors: John Banks & P. David Marshall

Games have often been thought of as the translation of the real world into
safer and harmless virtual worlds. There still may be bodies crunching
bodies in pseudo-war territorial games such as football and rugby -- or
alternatively blood, muscles and guts may have been placed into the
hyperreal chamber of computer and video screens. This issue is all about
exploring games and game culture and we invite articles that tackle the
translation of our pastimes into video and computer games as much as the
televisual Olympic games. Any and all cultural and political issues that
are placed in dramatic relief through game culture are fair game. This is
the time for all those afficionados to explicate their game identities and
pleasures in brilliantly written articles. Or in more crass terms, you can
legitimise a large part of your life through writing for M/C -- think of it
as potential therapy...

                    issue release date: 18 October 2000

Further topics for the year 2000 are:

'renew'       (deadline 13 Nov. / release 13 Dec.)

We're looking forward to your articles !

                                                          Axel Bruns

--
M/C - A Journal of Media and Culture                  mc@mailbox.uq.edu.au
The University of Queensland                http://www.api-network.com/mc/