Alexander Nekvasil on Thu, 11 May 2000 01:41:54 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> THE POLITICS OF GENETICALLY ENGINEERED HUMANS

The.Loka.Institute@bbs.thing.net (loka@loka.org) writes:

>      Can it get worse than this?  Yes. In Germany last year an
> uproar ensued following statements by noted philosopher Peter
> Sloterdijk that the failure of "Habermasean social democracy" now
> leaves human genetic engineering (which he referred to as
> "Selektion," a word associated with Nazi genocide) as the only means
> for humanity to improve its lot.

Objection, short version.  Juergen Habermas hates Michel Foucault,
abysmally. Juergen Habermas has friends in the media.  Friends in the
media tell Habermas Sloterdijk has made speech with a
Foucauldian/Nietzschean stance.  Habermas cries fascism!  German
weekly "Die Zeit" prints a commentary in that sense along with a tasty
morphing of the photographs of Sloterdijk and Nietzsche.  Now
Sloterdijk is angry.  Habermas should have spoken to him directly, not
to the public, because this is one of the postulations of Frankfurt
School.  Frankfurt School is dead, Sloterdijk says.  Other
philosophers join the debate, among them Manfred Frank, German
spearhead against what he calls "neo-strucuturalism" or "Neo-French"
thinking, and Ernst Tugendhat, analytic philosopher.  Tugendhat is the
one whom _selection_ reminds of concentration camps.

Objection, long version.  On the occasion of a symposion devoted to
Heidegger and Levinas Peter Sloterdijk gave a quite artistical and
pompous speech (he is an admirer of Schlegel and other such
romantics.)  The main course of it is as follows.

Heidegger's letter to Beaufret about humanism.  If we only listend to
being!  But so, humanism is at its end.  S. agrees.  What was
humanism?  Books, mainly, written to friends in the future; later, a
canon of books, mostly a national one, taught to educate (tame!)
people.  The book is vanishing.  Will the opposite of humanism take
its toll, bestiality?  Problem of the media.  The circus communicates
the Roman empire, the book communicates the national state and the
intellectual.  But what now?  S. suggests to elaborate a canon of
"anthropo-techniques" (including, but not limited to, genetical
engineering.)  Reading, and the book, is probably itself a suspicous
such technique; there is only a tiny step from the lection to
se-lection, because the latter was probably always implied in the
former.  The classroom, the state: Plato's metaphor of the politician
as shepherd.  Nietzsche's remarks about the "breeders of humans" (some
of them make humans bigger, some make them smaller) -- on this plane
the deliberation about anthropo-techniques would have to be situated.

That's the gist, off the top of my head, at least.  Habermasian social
democracy was not mentioned at all; selection means in German in about
the same it means in English -- and the special meaning it had in the
concentration camps is acknowledged in S.'s speech, albeit in a much
more radical way than Habermas concedes in his political philosophy.

In my view the Sloterdijk debate is one more example (after the Popper
gambit and the Golo Mann intrigue) of Frankfurt School's own, and
special, hm, dispositifs.  I suggest you remove Sloterdijk from the
place he has in your article.  He does not deserve it.

cordially
Alexander Nekvasil