t.whid on Tue, 9 May 2000 06:21:00 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] MTAA interview etoy.CORPORATION

this interview is to be published on http://www.artbreak.net, check
ARTBREAK for another exciting MTAA article on etoy's stay in
manhattan, with an interview with agent.NASDAQ, the glorious
toy.WARRIOR.

--twhid
+++++++++++++++

MTAA (M.River & T.Whid Art Assoc.) interview etoy.CORPORATION.

A warm May afternoon in New York City finds representatives of two
virtual art organizations meeting in the etoy.TANK.

MTAA: What are the precedents for etoy art practice?

etoy: etoy doesn't espouse any theory, we leave this up to other
people. Of course we are happy if precedents from art history can
explain the things that we do. But we are don't connect directly to
other artists. We're influenced, Warhol and Beuys are very important
to us. But it's not our discourse. We refuse the intellectualization
of our discourse, it has to stay strong and clean. Other people make
these connections, but etoy.CORPORATION would never talk about this
directly. But the references are there.

MTAA: Regarding the TOYWAR, both the online artwork and the
performance action, it wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been for
eToy's aggression. What are your feelings toward eToy.com?

etoy: I would say that we love to do business with them. This is the
reason that we are doing this exhibition.

MTAA: When the etoy.CORPORATION was founded, was that a performative
action as well as a real world action?

etoy: Of course, we had a lawyer on our team as an artist. We chose a
dot.com name, we spent money and time designing the www.etoy.com
name, these are all pieces that came together to make sense in the
present. At the time that we were putting these pieces together
people didn't understand how this corporate identity could make sense
in the art world. Now it is clear. And that's why we came to New
York, the dot.com mania is here, the bubble is here.

MTAA: The real world action is simultaneously the performative
action, the actions exist in two separate contexts at once. That is
what we see as one of the interesting aspects of etoy.

etoy: Yes, we are very much interested in this sort of thing. I
believe that that is why we won our case with eToys. We behaved like
a corporation. We are a corporation. We were more professional in our
use of the media and in designing our media statements. But at the
same time we were free to escape that very logic -- the business
logic, because we operate at this surreal level, so they could
never... I don't think they had the most intelligent people working
on the case anyway. They could never guess our next steps. I think
they were confused the whole time. It didn't make sense to them. They
didn't have an enemy they could catch. We were too similar to them.

MTAA: eToys offered you over half a million dollars for the domain
name, yet you have shares for sale, could eToys have bought a
controlling interest in etoy?

etoy: They were not willing to buy shares. We were not fighting
against eToys because they are a corporation like (r)tmark (the
anti-corporate activists), we are not online activists. We were open
to doing business with them. But only if it would fit into our art
piece. We offered them a merger. We said they could buy us out, then
we could design the whole merger together, a media design, an art
product. We were very serious about this. It would go to the next
level and shock a lot of people. In my opinion it would have been the
best way to get out of the problem. eToys would have been seen as the
corporation that understands their market, understands the internet,
instead of being seen as stupid. They were scared, they had no chance.

We are designed so that half of the people hate us, and half of the
people love us. You either get it and are willing to invest in us,
which is risky. Or you hate us.

During TOYWAR, we were seen as the good guys. That's our biggest fear.

MTAA are a New York based conceptual art group with a strong internet
presence. They are known world wide for their conceptual net art
products. Visit them online at http://www.mteww.com.

=
=
=