Doug Henwood on Fri, 21 Apr 2000 21:05:26 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> antipodean A16 digest

Prof. Wark wrote:

>Your point about the devaluation of the Aussie is a good one. Trading
>at about 60 cents to the US dollar is a real boost to exports, esp.
>in the mineral and agricultural sectors. Pity about the fascist
>trade policies of Europe and America, however, which limits the
>export gain.

I'm assuming "fascist" is used here as a mere epithet, since real
fascist economic policy tends towards extreme autarky, and the U.S.
is quite open to the inward and outward movement of goods, services,
capital, and even people. If the U.S. were so "fascist" in its trade
policies, why did we run a $65 billion deficit on merchandise trade
in the first two months of this year?

>I find the client state rhetoric a bit dated, but like all small economies
>outside the major trading blocs, the self-interested trade policies of
>the US and the EC are a real hinderance

Is that an Australian spelling?

Doug