proyectos.macg on Thu, 20 Apr 2000 01:09:43 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Hand over that media! Now!

These letters are generated by an HTML code every time you refresh this page.

http://www.conet.com.mx/macg/010000/html.htm

mgt
010000

On Tue, 18 April 2000, hromlegn kainn wrote:

> Pamphlet for a new and cultural resistent art by a resistant culture: Hand
> over that media! Now!
>
> Century +1.
>
> After the desillusion of the discourse that never-ended, the dialog that
> never-existed , and the history that never-started , the postmodernists
> slowly faded away in the millennium bug that never-happened. So, done and
> over with the nineties, 2000 is like starting civilisation in the desert
> amidst the carcasses of a bovine culture: yes, ill-literacy is everywhere.
> That means that the happy haydays of netart, media-art, net-activism and
> web-art, are over. If there ever was a hope that new artists and
> media-activists would mix, mingle and create a new context, build a new
> infrastructure for a new kind of future art, it is certainly forgotten and
> abandoned now. Push that escape button to get elsewhere, quick.
>
> So much.
>
> So much for the individual original web-media-artist-activist, who happily
> continues to compromise him/herself with setting up high-art competitions,
> living from official grants to talk and have a jet-kick in global
> abundance. More and more, formerly alternative and virtual networks are
> taking part in officially supported initiatives set up by universities,
> governments and super-governmental organisms. The danger of "subsumption"
> is immanent: any part taking into the former and ineffective structures,
> will be punished by loss of memory, identity, and bodyweight. Voila!
>
> The stop-start.
>
> So, we should stop looking at the past for anything else than the past,
> and we should stop looking for explosives since no one ever hotwired
> anything.  Next to selling the future in reverse, and giving webart to the
> museums, webinstruction to the schools, there are more urgent things to
> handle. We should turn over current power and skills to totally 'informal'
> organisations. Back to the young and inexperienced, back to the noise -
> digital noise - and let it develop by itself. No involvement by the
> ministries of culture, education, family, playground, television,
> computers, internet, whatever... Give it a chance, start! Even if it all
> ends in "outcome uncertain", stay tuned for the blank screen, the
> silence.ra, the failure:hooray! And know that there are worse things to
> come.
>
> [hromlegnkainn@dbonanzah.org, 2001-1]
> http://www.dbonanzah.org/untitled.html

> #  <nettime> is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,
> #  more info: majordomo@bbs.thing.net and "info nettime-l" in the msg body
> #  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime@bbs.thing.net

saludos, mario garcia torres

Get your free email with GroupWeb Worldmailer at
http://www.worldmailer.com. Send and receive e-mail
from any computer with a web browser.