Arun-Kumar Tripathi on Sun, 9 Apr 2000 17:09:59 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Hypertext News with two interesting books

Greetings NetTimers,

((Notes from Arun Tripathi: The review "*Forward Anywhere* by Judy
Malloy and Cathy Marshall" --written by Prof. Stuart Moulthrop is
available WHERE TO? at: <http://www.eastgate.com/reviews/Moulthrop.html>

** some excerpts from the review **

"Judy Malloy and Cathy Marshall know things about hypertext that can only
come from very strong engagement." "Forward Anywhere brilliantly demonstrates
the hypertexts -are structured in more dimensions than the line." Prof.
Moulthrop makes hypertexts and teaches design for electronic environments.

Convergence -a Journal of Research into New Media Technologies is
available at: <http://www.luton.ac.uk/Convergence/>

Soul Moulthrop is also the author of Victory Garden
<http://www.eastgate.com/catalog/VictoryGarden.html>

Prof. Janet Murray (author of Hamlet On The Holodeck) has written about
the _Victory Garden_ as, "..indispensible. No one has taken on the hard
questions about hypertext and fiction or played so intransigently with
the myriad possibilities.." _Victory Garden_ was created using Storyspace.

An excerpt from _Victory Garden_ has been adpated for reading on the Web
at: <http://www.eastgate.com/VG/VGStart.html>

Storyspace -a hypertext tool for writers and readers
<http//www.eastgate.com/Storyspace.html>

Advance Praise for NEW WEB FICTION "Friday's Big Meeting"
<http://www.tank20.com/fbm/index.html> and
<http://www.tank20.com/v4/lead.html>

Sincerely
Arun Tripathi
Cyberexplorer
Net Messenger))

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 13:02:35 -0400
From: "Mark Bernstein, Eastgate Systems, Inc." <bernstein@eastgate.com>
[....]

- Share your Storyspace stories
- Women at the Millennium features _Forward Anywhere_
- New in HypertextNOW: Scrolling with Rob Wittig
- DUST OR MAGIC: Secrets of Successful Multimedia Design

Share your Storyspace Stories
-----------------------------
Do you use Storyspace, Eastgate's popular hypertext writing tool?

We'd like to hear your stories about Storyspace. What does Storyspace
mean to you? How have you used it?

We're looking for anecdotes that will help us plan future Storyspace
releases and help us explain Storyspace to new writers. We're
interested in everyday experiences as well as unusual applications.

Our favorite anecdotes, selected by Eastgate's dedicated staff, will
win free hypertexts and other special prizes.

Won't you help?  Send your stories to:

Please mailto: <storyspace@eastgate.com>

Women at the Millennium features FORWARD ANYWHERE
Eastgate salutes UC Berkeley's _Women at the Millennium_ mail art
exhibition, which includes work from hundreds of mail artists and
features FORWARD ANYWHERE, the email-based hypertext by Judy Malloy
and Cathy Marshall. Despite poor weather and fire alarms, over a
hundred people attended the  opening.

"Forward Anywhere demonstrates a remarkable commitment to exploration
and experiment, a futurity that moves through the past but is not
doomed to repetition. This is a work that moves and moves with us, an
*open* work in the best sense." -- Stuart Moulthrop, _Convergence:
The Journal of Research into New Media Technologies_

Order your copy of FORWARD ANYWHERE:
<http://www.eastgate.com/catalog/ForwardAnywhere.html>

_Forward Anywhere_
by Judy Malloy and Cathy Marshall
Eastgate Systems
ISBN 1-884511-25-2
For Macintosh or Windows 95/98/NT  $19.95

HypertextNOW: Scrolling with Rob Wittig
---------------------------------------
In the new HypertextNOW, Diane Greco interviews Rob Wittig, director
of the Chicago literary studio TANK20. Among Tank20's best-known
projects was last year's Web performance, "The Fall of the Site of
Marsha."

"I'm fond of saying that the copy machine is STILL the most important
literary technology of our century."

<http://www.eastgate.com/HypertextNow/archives/Wittig.html>

Dust Or Magic: Secrets Of Successful Multimedia Design

In this new volume, Bob Hughes offers a conceptual framework and
plenty of practical advice for creatively tackling projects in
multimedia design.  Drawing on his extensive and varied experience in
multimedia development, Hughes demonstrates the importance of
emotions, play, gesture, and closely-coupled media in producing
intense, immersive multimedia.

Of particular interest are Hughes' case studies and profiles; these
make a wonderfully candid introduction to multimedia classics and to
their creators.  Hughes' analyses, examples, and historical insights,
moreover, are all much wider ranging than the title suggests.

Aleen Stein, CEO of Organa.com and co-founder of The Voyager Company,
called _Dust or Magic_ "incredibly engrossing. I expected to skim
through it, and found myself reading it avidly, putting aside all the
other work I should have been doing, in favor of consuming it. Very
readable, it's as much of a page-turner as most fiction I'm reading.
It has unique insight into the creative process."

Bob Hughes worked in media from medieval manuscripts to television
ads before discovering the computer in 1989. Since becoming hooked,
he has developed CD-ROMs, learning games, kiosk systems, Web sites --
and deep sympathy for everyone who strives to do "good stuff,"
whatever the medium.

Ordering with Eastgate is quick and easy.

<http://www.eastgate.com/catalog/DustOrMagic.html>

Dust or Magic: Secrets of Successful Multimedia Design
by Bob Hughes
Addison-Wesley
ISBN 0-201-36071-3 (paper)  $34.50
Eastgate Systems, Inc.                  voice: +1(617) 924-9044
134 Main St Watertown MA 02472 USA      fax:   +1(617) 924-9051
WORLD WIDE WEB:     http://www.eastgate.com/