william o'brien on Tue, 4 Apr 2000 20:58:13 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] what is enlightenment?

> [...]
>Enlightenment (chapter 2)
>Jan van Eyck Akademie Theory Symposium
>May 26.27.28 2000
>Maastricht, Netherlands
>-------------------------->
>From Sue Golding, Head of Theory, Jan van Eyck Akademie:
>
>Enlightenment (chapter 2) is an interactive, international symposium to
>take place May 26-28, in conjunction with the open
>days, at the Jan van Eyck Akademie.
>
>This event puts into critical focus the earlier responses by Kant
>and others, on the question, "What is Enlightenment?". Now
>re-played through the message board (s) and chat room (s) on the
>Internet (http://www.janvaneyck.nl/enlightenment) and 'in situ' at the
>Jan van Eyck.
>
>What is Enlightenment (chapter 2) runs within and through the broad
>outlines of a new philosophic, political and technological aesthetics, and
>sets the discussion in terms of three interweaving axes:
>
>- contamination; -release; -situation.
>
>Invited international scholars, philosophers, artists, musicians,
>designers, and technicians include:
>
>Mieke Bal (Netherlands), Johanna Balusikova (Slovakia), Jon Bird (England),
>Pascal Brannan (England), Nadezda Cacinovic (Croatia), Shu Lea Cheang
>(United States), Manuel De Landa (United States), Robert Estermann
>(Switzerland), Judith Fisher (Austria), Robert Garnett (England), Pascale
>Gatzen (Netherlands), Sue Golding (johnny de philo; England), Paul Hallam
>(England), William Haver(United States), Christian Hübler (Knowbotic
>Research; Switzerland), Mirela Ivanciu (Romania), JODI (Joan Heemskerk,
>Dirk Paesmans, Netherlands/Spain), Kenny (who will die at the end of this
>episode), Ervin Kesler (Romania), Manfred Kobroth (Germany), Franziska
>Lésak, Geert Lovink (Netherlands/ Australie), Sarat Maharaj (England),
>Marjan Melkert (Netherlands), Eva Meyer (Germany), Holly Mountain
>(England), Rubén de Nuez (Cuba), Ronald Palmer (United States), Despina
>Papadopoulos (Emerging Technologies; United States), Mark Pauline (Survival
>Research Laboratories;United States), Ana Peraica (Kroatia), Salvatore
>Puglia (Italy/France), Constanze Ruhm (Austria), Hans Scheirl
>(Austria/England), Nasrin Tabatabai (Netherlands), very yellow plane, VNX
>MATRIX (Julianne Pierce, Josephine Starrs, Francesca da Rimini; Australia),
>Stevan Vukovic (Serbia).
>On the context--------------->
>(following from:  Foucault Reader, Editor Paul Rabinow, What is
>Enlightenment)
>
>"Today when a periodical asks it's readers a question, it does so in order
>to collect opinions on some subject about which everyone has an opinion
>already; there is not much likelihood of learning
>anything new.   In the eighteenth century, editors preferred to question
>the public on problems that did not yet have solutions.  In any event, in
>line with this custom, in November 1784, a German periodical, Berlinische
>Monatschrift, published a response to the question: Was ist Aufklärung?

(a copy of Kant's answer can be found here:
http://www.eserver.org/philosophy/kant/what-is-enlightenment.txt)

A minor text perhaps.  But it seems to me that it marks the discreet
>entrance into the history of thought of a question that modern philosophy
>has not been capable of answering, but that it has never managed to get rid
>of, either...How are we constituted as subjects of our own knowledge?  How
>are we constituted as subjects who exercise or submit to power relations?
>How are we constituted as moral subjects of our own actions?"
>-Michel Foucault
END_NOTE:
---------
>VLADIMIR: Well? What should we do?
>ESTRAGON: Don't let's do anything. It's safer"
-Waiting for Godot, Samuel Beckett