Art Forum on Mon, 3 Apr 2000 05:09:29 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Nerve Theory: Our world version 2.0

"Our world Version 2.0"
Nerve Theory: Tom Sherman and Bernhard Loibner
Performance@ The Void in NYC - April 1, 2000

Walking into Nerve Theory's version of The Void on Saturday night produced a
definitive transformation from the commerce crowded streets of Soho.  The
only lights available were from three channels of otherworldly video
exposures that stared up from almost every seat in the room and two large
projection screens at either end of the space.

>From the very first moments there was an underlying heaviness in the room
that something was wrong, very wrong like the disorientation involved when
you can't tell if you are waking up or going to sleep.  Sherman's video and
voice transmissions seemed to be relaying a dis-junctive and ulterior media
format where the t.v. reveals its true self as a hardcore instrument of
survival for a species who have outrun their bodies.  Sherman knows there is
nothing out there... "the information bomb has been dropped", the real-time
desert is before him but he can't unplug for fear he still might miss
something.

Loibner's audio mix was adrift like a muted alarm or SOS from lost a vessel
on some other planet; a befuddled need for location and orientation.  He
transmitted a continuous current that oftentimes re-sided just above noise
and manytimes "degenerated" into music.  Loibner delivered a smart
navigation of soundscapes that dangerously teeter between lost and found.

The performance ended with Loibner's audio "destroying" Sherman's
increasingly frantic techno-sex-monologue amidst images of nature and
commerce.  Each video screen went dark, an awkward silence filled the space.
  Had Nerve Theory unplugged?  If so why?  People sat up and looked around.
Something had happened.  One couple whose eyes were shut in trans-like state
for the duration of the show both began to laugh.  Was this was a victorious
psychic-gesture of beings having succeeded in locating themselves outside
the incessant streams of real-time texts or rather just an admission that we
have seen the future and nothing is very much fun anymore?

Either way Nerve Theory succeeded in changing our perceptions for awhile and
accomplished the difficult feat of re-processing our media saturated
environment and converting it into a format that allows distance and
criticism. Another world in crisis from accelerated time and reduction of
space... our world version 2.0.

-SM 2000