John Armitage on Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:23:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Paul Virilio Newsletter #1

Hi all

For all those interested in the work of the French technocultural theorist
PAUL VIRILIO I have some bits and pieces of news. The news is presented in
order of anticipated publication dates:

1) 'Technoculte Totalitaire'. This is a review essay of mine on Virilio's
_La bombe informatique_ (1998). It will appear in the next issue of _New
Left Review_. (March-April, 2000).

2) _The Information Bomb_. This is the English translation of Virilio's _La
bombe informatique - translated by  Chris Turner. It is Virilio's critique
of technoscience and all its works and will be published by Verso in London
in June/July 2000.

3) _Strategy of Deception_. This is the English translation of Virilio's
_Strategies de la deception_ (1999) - translated by Chris Turner. It is
Virilio's analysis of the Kosovo W@r and will be published by Verso in
London in August/September 2000.

4) _Desert Screen: War at the Speed of Light_. This is the English
translation of Virilio's _L'ecran du desert: chroniques de guerre_ (1991) -
translated by Michael Degener. It is Virilio's analysis of the Persian Gulf
War and will be published by The Athlone Press in London in the spring of
2001.

5) _Virilio Live: Selected Interviews_. This is a book I am presently
editing. It contains a preface by Virilio, an introduction by me, and 21
interviews with Virilio on architecture, speed, politics, and technoculture
etc. There are 4 new interviews in the book for English-speaking readers.
One by Niels Brugger has only been published before in Danish, one by
Andreas Ruby has only been published before in German and two interviews by
Nicholas Zurbrugg and myself are previously unpublished. My long interview
with Virilio is on the Kosovo W@r but opens with a lengthy 'position
statement' by Virilio on the 'strategically correct thinking' adopted by the
NATO cyberwarriors. The book also contains a section on further reading and
a comprehensive Virilio bibliography. All being well, it will be published
by Sage in association with _Theory, Culture & Society_ in the spring of
2001.

6) The Athlone Press are also presently in the process of translating
Virilio's book on the technocult of speed,  _L'horizon negatif_ (1984).
However, no publication date has been set for this in English as far as I
know.

I will be back with more news on Virilio later in the summer. Watch this
space ... disappear ... .. .

Best wishes

John

"The military is the message."

John Armitage
Principal Lecturer in Politics & Media Studies
Division of Government & Politics
University of Northumbria at Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 8ST
UK
Tel: 0191 227 4971
Fax: 0191 227 4654
E-mail: (w) john.armitage@unn.ac.uk
E-mail: (h) j.armitage@technologica.demon.co.uk
Read: Machinic Modulations:new cultural theory & technopolitics
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/archive/r-archive/ang-con.html