V2_Rotterdam on Wed, 27 Mar 2019 16:27:07 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Media Art Meetup III: Machine Art

.
Title: Media Art Meetup III: Machine Art

Media Art Meetup III: Machine Art

Date: April 2, 20:00h - 22:30h (doors open: 19:30h)
Entrance: Free/Donation
Location: V2_Lab for the Unstable Media,
Eendrachtsstraat 10, Rotterdam

Media Art Meetup

V2_Lab for the Unstable Media presents a crash course in the field of Art & Media Technology. Four meetups give a comprehensive overview of the field; its history, the current themes and issues, and possible future developments.

The crash course is suitable for anyone who wants to know more about the intersection of Art, Technology & Society. Whether you are completely unfamiliar with 'Media Art' or have been following the developments at V2_ and similar institutions for the past decades, this is your chance to find answers to your questions on the subject.

Experts within the domain, along with our archivist, researcher & media theorist Arie Altena, and a selection of contemporary artists will break down the subject in a way that is understandable and accessible for everyone.

April 2

Join us at V2_Lab for the Unstable Media on April 2 from 20:00h – 22.30h (doors open at 19.30h) for the third of four planned meetups: 'An Introduction to Machine Art'.

Marnix de Nijs

Marnix de Nijs is a Dutch installation artist and a pioneer of Dutch media art since the mid-90s. De Nijs makes use of high-concept mechanics, software and ever-evolving technologies to create interactive artworks that play with the viewer’s perception of image, sound and movement.

His work explores how contemporary technological culture acts upon our senses and continuously shapes our modes of perception. Central to his work is the idea that technology acts as a driving force behind cultural change, capable of generating new experiences where societal habits and communication are rethought. His work thrives on the creative possibilities offered by new media, while critically examining their impact on contemporary society and human perception.

His work, in fact, makes use of custom built software and hardware that often adapt existing technological innovations to de Nijs’ specific artistic narratives. Although focused on technology, de Nijs’ background as a sculptor is strongly visible in his work, both in the ambitious physical scale of his works and the craftsmanship he employs to command materials.

During this meetup Marnix will tell us about his experiences as an active artist in the field as well as present his installation 'Autonomous Oil Reserve'.

Andreas Broeckmann

Andreas Broeckmann is an art historian and curator who lives in Berlin. He is a Visiting Professor for Art History and Media Theory at the Academy of Fine Arts, Leipzig. From 2011-2016 he directed the Leuphana Arts Program of Leuphana University Lüneburg. He was the Founding Director of the Dortmunder U - Centre for Art and Creativity and has curated exhibitions and festivals in major European venues, incl. Transmediale and ISEA2010 RUHR.

>From 1995-2000 he worked as a curator for the V2_ Organisation. Broeckmann holds a PhD in Art History from the University of East Anglia, and lectures internationally about the history of modern art, media theory, machine aesthetics, and digital culture. He is the author of "Machine Art in the Twentieth Century", and co-editor of "30 Years after Les Immatériaux – Art, Science, Theory". He has been a research fellow of the V2_ Lab since 2018. During this meetup Andreas will take the role of expert within the field and give us an overview of the phenomena 'Machine Art'.

Arie Altena

Next to being the website, and archive editor at V2_, Arie Altena writes about art and technology. He is especially interested the interplay between new technologies, art, culture & society and is the author of Wat is Community Art? (V2_Publishing).

During this meetup Arie will give a overview of Machine-Art related projects, artists and artworks from the V2_Archive and explore the role V2_ has had in the development of the field, both locally and internationally.

Practical

Free Entrance / Donation
Doors open at 19:30, Talks start at 20:00 (please be on time)

Coming Meetups

Media Art Meetup 4/4 - Inter/Net Art - June 4th
Facebook event

For more information, or anything else: please send an e-mail to steffan@v2.nl

The activities at V2_ are made possible thanks to financial support from the Creative Industries Fund NL, and the City of Rotterdam.

For this project we received special financial support from Volkskracht.

V2_Lab for the Unstable Media
Eendrachtsstraat 10
3012 XL Rotterdam NL
+31 10 2067272
v2_@v2.nl

This email was sent to nettime-ann@nettime.org
V2_Lab for the Unstable Media · Eendrachtsstraat 10 · Rotterdam, Zh 3013 AA · Netherlands