Traxler Nicole 2666 EST on Sat, 3 Jun 2017 19:56:26 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Civil Society in Central and Eastern Europe

.
Dear friends and colleagues,

More than two decades have passed since the collapse of the communist regimes in Eastern Europe. Since then, the region has experienced intensive periods of transformation, conflicts, and renewal. Political systems have changed, ethnical tensions have risen, and new relationships with European neighbor countries have formed. All these developments have been closely linked to civil society. It has not only been influenced by them, but also triggered some of them.

To develop a better understanding of the current state of civil society in 16 countries of this region, the diverse pathways of its development, and its possible future trajectories, we partnered with the Vienna University of Economics and Business, more than 20 researchers, and over 400 experts from Central and Eastern Europe. The results of our common efforts are put together in this publication on
"Civil Society in Central and Eastern Europe: Challenges and Opportunities".
It offers its readers an analysis of the overarching patterns of civil society in its recent past and possible future developments. Its 16 country reports give additional insights into civil society of the specific countries, as well as defined fields and developments throughout the region.

This publication, therefore, serves as first comparative and comprehensive analysis of civil society in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe under review and we are happy to share it with you.

For your convenience, it is available for download on our website: <http://www.erstestiftung.org/publication/civil-society-in-cee/>
http://www.erstestiftung.org/publication/civil-society-in-cee/

Yours sincerely,

Boris Marte