Vesna Manojlovic on Mon, 25 Apr 2016 17:01:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Fwd: [cooperation-wg] Net Futures 2016

.
Dear nettime,

here's a cross-posting from RIPE "cooperation-working group";
https://www.ripe.net/participate/ripe/wg/coop

I will merge two posts from Gordon Lennox that I find relevant.

If replying, please cc Gordon, he is not subscribed to nettime.

Vesna

====

Explanation / intro: https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/cooperation-wg/2016-April/000850.html

Some years ago I was invited by EuroIX to try and explain what Brussels, the Commission, the EU did. My short answer was roughly three things:

** fund projects and studies. A big chunk of funding. And work which often also feeds back into how they see the world.

** make the rules. At its simplest the Commission proposes regulation and the Member States and Parliament adopt.

** do policy. Which means presenting, pushing, ideas in the wider world. Not to be underestimated!

The two speeches give a good idea, if you read carefully, of how the Commission currently sees the "future Internet - of what they will fund, the rules they will propose and of what they will support.

&

https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/cooperation-wg/2016-April/000848.html