Wendy Van Wynsberghe on Mon, 1 Jun 2015 19:16:07 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Worksession Promiscuous Pipelines: Call for participants

.
Call for participants for the worksession Promiscuous Pipelines, 31/08/2015 - 5/09/2015, Brussels

Promiscuous Pipelines:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
In computation, a âpipeâ is a method to enable various software modules to connect to each other, where the output of one program is treated as the input for the next program. âPipesâ form the basis of The Unix philosophy, a perspective on software production where multiple task-oriented tools can be chained together to make seemingly endless software combinations possible. While interchangeable and flexible, the assumption that each element should be optimised to âDo One Thing and Do It Wellâ leads to a rather predictable and ultimately normative set. If each tool is designed to be used in any context by anyone at any time, what about situated knowledge? How can we imagine modularity, knowing that software processes are inherently leaky and contextual?

Call for participants:
Participants in Promiscuous Pipelines can be artists and/or thinkers and/or developers interested in rethinking tool-sets, methods or systems. You are invited to bring existing or imagined projects that care about connections between social, technical and physical worlds.

There are 5 places available. If you are interested in participating, please send a short motivation to femke@constantvzw.org by *July 1*, 2015.

The worksession starts on Monday August 31 in the afternoon and ends on Saturday evening September 5. We will work collaboratively with 20 participants. The session is organised by Constant in collaboration with foAM and hosted at Koolmijnkaai 30-34 in Brussels.

Participation is free. Constant and foAM will take care of lodging, food and drink. A basic hardware workshop, plus a library of related materials will be made available. If you need anything special, let us know and weâll try to facilitate.

We prefer to use Free, Libre and Open Source software because we would like to focus on tools that invite us to speak back to their social and technological construction.

---> For more detailed information go here:
http://constantvzw.org/site/Promiscuous-pipelines-program.html

Greetings,

Wendy