Andreas Broeckmann on Thu, 28 May 2015 15:56:41 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Conf. The Terms of Media, CDC, LÃneburg, 17-19 June 2015

.
Leuphana University of LÃneburg, Germany
Centre for Digital Cultures

ConÂfeÂrence

THE TERMS OF MEDIA

17 - 19 June 2015

Ritterakademie
Am Graalwall 12, 21335 LÃneburg, Germany

Participation is free.
PleaÂse reÂgisÂter here: http://goo.gl/forms/nyHCqSTkPd

Information: http://cdc.leuphana.com
QuesÂtiÂons: termsofmedia@inkubator.leuphana.de

âMeÂdia deÂterÂmiÂne our siÂtuaÂtiÂon,â FriedÂrich KittÂler inÂfaÂmousÂly wroÂte in his inÂtroÂducÂtion to GraÂmoÂphoÂne, Film, TyÂpewriÂter. AltÂhough this dicÂtum is cerÂtainÂly exÂtreÂme â and meÂdia arÂchaeoÂloÂgy has been criÂtiÂqued for being overÂly draÂmaÂtic and foÂcuÂsed on techÂnoÂloÂgiÂcal deÂveÂlopÂments â it proÂpels us to keep thinÂking about meÂdia as setÂting the terms for which we live, soÂciaÂliÂze, comÂmuÂniÂcaÂte, orÂgaÂniÂze, do schoÂlarÂship etc. AfÂter all, as KittÂler conÂtiÂnued in his opening stateÂment alÂmost 30 yeÂars ago, our siÂtuaÂtiÂon, âin spiÂte or beÂcauÂseâ of meÂdia, âdeÂserÂves a deÂscripÂtiÂon.â What, then, are the terms â the liÂmits, the conÂdiÂtiÂons, the peÂriÂods, the reÂlaÂtiÂons, the phraÂses â of meÂdia? And, what is the reÂlaÂtiÂonsÂhip betÂween theÂse terms and deÂterÂmiÂnaÂtiÂon?

This proÂject, which entÂails two inÂterÂnaÂtioÂnal conÂfeÂrenÂces, to take place at Brown UniÂverÂsiÂty and at LeuÂphaÂna UniÂverÂsiÂty in LÃneÂburg, GerÂmaÂny, and a seÂries of puÂbliÂcaÂtiÂons baÂsed on theÂse conÂfeÂrenÂces, seeks to reÂpoÂse and upÂdate this funÂdaÂmenÂtal quesÂtiÂon of meÂdia theoÂry. Does our siÂtuaÂtiÂon inÂdiÂcaÂte a new term, unÂdersÂtood as temÂpoÂral shifts of meÂdiaÂtic conÂdiÂtioÂnÂing, which deÂserÂves a re-deÂscripÂtiÂon? How and on what terms are meÂdia chanÂging, reÂflecÂting chanÂges in meÂdia itsÂelf? What are the terms of conÂdiÂtiÂons that we neÂgoÂtiaÂte as subÂjects of meÂdia? How do the terms of meÂdia theoÂry reÂlaÂte to such conÂdiÂtiÂons? What are the terms of conÂdiÂtiÂons of meÂdia theoÂry itsÂelf?

Preliminary schedule (subject to change)

June 17, 2015
KeynoÂte (07:00 pm)
The Yes Men
moderated by Martina Leeker

ReÂcepÂtiÂon
Launch of  meÂson press

June 18, 2015
FABRICATIONS (10:00â11:30)
Ian BoÂgost
Fox HarÂrell
moÂderaÂted by MaÂthiÂas Fuchs

SUBJECTS (11:45â01:15)
Wendy Chun
FloÂriÂan CraÂmer
moÂderaÂted by CleÂmens Apprich

ATMOSPHERES (2:30â04:00)
AnÂdreÂas PhilÂipÂpoÂpouÂlos-MiÂhaÂloÂpouÂlos
SteÂfan RieÂger
moÂderaÂted by Christiane Heibach

FLESH (04:15â05:45)
Inge BaxÂmann
Mark HanÂsen
moÂderaÂted by Erich HÃrl

June 19, 2015
PHYSICS (10:00â11:30)
PeÂter GalÂison
ChrisÂtiÂna Vagt
moÂderaÂted by Paul FeiÂgelÂfeld

MARKETS (11:45-01:15)
Jens SchrÃter
PhiÂlip MiÂrowÂski
moÂderaÂted by ArÂmin BeÂverÂunÂgen

POLITICS (2:30-04:00)
Hito SteyÂerl
MeÂlisÂsa Gregg
moÂderaÂted by AnÂdÂrew Lison

COLOR (04:15â05:45)
Marc GlÃde
CarÂoÂlyn Kane
moÂderaÂted by BoÂris Traue

SUMMARY ROUNDTABLE (06:00â07:00)
AnÂdreÂas BroÂeckÂmann
NisÂhant Shah
ElÂlen RooÂney

Multi-chanÂnel ViÂdeo InÂstalÂlaÂtiÂon by Nina WakeÂford and RoÂbert RaÂpoÂport