The Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences/Hogeschool van Amsterdam (AUAS/HvA) is looking for an assistant researcher Interaction Design (0,8 fte). Are you a recent design graduate looking to start a master’s degree or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) next year? MediaLAB Amsterdam is looking for you!
As assistant researcher you will work on various research and design projects with students, researchers and industry partners at MediaLAB Amsterdam. You are aware of current topics, emerging trends and technologies in the field of interaction design. You are
responsible for producing guidelines and how-to’s by experimenting with new tools and services and exploring their possibilities and limitations for interaction and interface design. The output you produce will be made available to industry, research and educational
partners and will be used to support and advise on the best solutions for specific goals within our projects. You will help research teams produce high quality digital design outcomes. You are also responsible for designing materials for various communication
outlets, print and digital.
You will be responsible for:
• Advising and supporting research teams and its individual members on design matters, ensuring the quality of the artifacts produced;
• Establish and execute experiments with interactive services and interfaces;
• Researching and analyzing and interpreting recent technical developments and design trends;
• Ownership brand manual MediaLA;
• Producing communication materials (printed and digital). You take care of the design of internal and external communication;
• Contributing to the development of the design process within the lab, producing visual tools to help research teams in their workflow;
• Supporting the process of recruitment and selection of final year design students from various international applied universities to participate in MediaLAB projects;
• Supporting presentations and publications with input regarding the interaction and interface design of experiments;
• Facilitating theoretical and practical workshops in interaction and interface design.
You are encouraged to initiate your own research project in correspondence with the MediaLAB’s research agenda.
What we are looking for
• An Interaction Designer with knowledge about interaction design theory and relevant methods. You have a portfolio showcasing strong examples of interaction and user interface design. You have
a large professional network and are constantly out looking to meet new people, share skills, gain knowledge and discuss topics with peers
• A (soon to be) recent design graduate with plans to start an MA or PhD course in 2015.
• Your communication skills are excellent, you are proficient in spoken and written English.
• You are proficient in the most common graphic design software (Adobe Suite, prototyping tools etc) photo and video editing software and you are not afraid of code. You are willing to experiment
with new tools you are not familiar with.
MediaLAB Amsterdam is a research lab within CREATE-IT Applied Research; the research institute of the faculty Digital Media and Creative Industries at AUAS. At CREATE-IT. professors, students and researchers conduct practice-based research with partners and
assigners from the Amsterdam creative industry and IT sector. We collaborate with other universities and knowledge institutes. Our research results feed into professional practices and into our educational programs. Our practice-based research answers the
urgent and relevant questions emerging from developments in the industry, ensures that education keeps pace with these developments and stimulates professionalization of students and teaching staff.
The MediaLAB Amsterdam facilitates an intensive 20-week program to guide final year students through a full-fledged design process of researching, creating and designing, up to the delivery of a working prototype. The student teams take on innovation challenges
formulated together with partners from the industry. MediaLAB also initiates its own research projects.
What we offer
A position at MediaLAB Amsterdam will allow you to develop many aspects of your practice and research, and allows you to orient on further training such as MA or a PhD. You will be working in close collaboration with researchers from all departments of the
faculty of Digital Media & Creative Industries.
The position is one of “researcher/educational staff 3” (Onderwijs-/Onderzoeksmedewerker 3) for 4 days a week (0,8 fte) within the HvA-job classification structure. The monthly gross salary is maximum €3.021,- based on fulltime employment. The position is temporary
employment for the duration of one year, preferably available from November 1st 2014. Interviews will be concluded before that date.
The AUAS has excellent benefits, including holiday entitlement and an extra month.
For more information about the position, please contact Margreet Riphagen, project manager by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(do not use to apply).
For more information about the MediaLAB, www.medialabamsterdam.com
or go to http://www.create-it.hva.nl/
for more details about CREATE-IT.
Click on the link below to apply online. Applications sent to the contact person directly, or by some other means, will not be processed.
Because this position requires proficient English spoken and written skills we would like to receive your letter of application in English. The interview will also be in English.