Iziko Museums of South Africa on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 18:50:10 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Fly the flag for SA | Hyped for heritage | Save with the Iziko Family ticket

.
Title: I on Iziko - newsletter
Having trouble reading this email? View it in your browser
EDITION 3  DECEMBER 2013
South African artists in France
Iziko Museums of South Africa CEO, Rooksana Omar and Executive Director Core Functions, Bongani Ndhlovu attended the prestigious opening of
A Portrait of South Africa â George Hallett, Peter Clarke & Gerard Sekoto at the Cite internationale des arts in Paris on 29 October 2013. A packed audience heard speeches that paid tribute to Sekoto and honoured the works of Hallett and Clarke. The latter two artists were also attended this bi-lingual affair.

Flying the Flag for South African Art

Following a highly successful South Africa-France Season in 2012, relations with France is once again a key focus. A Portrait of South Africa â George Hallett, Peter Clarke & Gerard Sekoto is an exhibition of photographs, paintings and works on paper by these three prominent South African artists. Curated by the Iziko South African National Gallery, this exhibition is currently on view at the Cite internationale des arts in Paris.

Koopmans-de Wet House
The Standard Bank Young Artist Award 2013 Mary Sibande: The Purple Shall Govern opens on 27 November 2013 at the Iziko South African National Gallery.

Hot & Happening

Upcoming and current exhibitions, planetarium shows, education and public programmes and events, and friends activities currently on at Iziko Museums of South Africa.

The land Act
Farm boundary beacon of 1881 near Pella, Northern Cape, 1987. Photograph: Gerald Klinghardt. From Without and within time. Currently on display at the Iziko South African Museum's Ethnography Hall.

Without and within time: The Natives Land Act of 1913

Land and the legacy of land dispossession remains a contentious issue within South Africa, and is a subject that is set to continue to evoke strong emotions in those who are connected to the land.
Iziko Mobile Museum
Iziko Mobile Museum conducted an outreach event at Ikhaya le themba in Hout Bay where Outreach Officer Sithembele Harmans gave a talk on heritage and presented a beading workshop to about 100 children.

Iziko Mobile Museum gets Youth Hyped up for Heritage

Sharing heritage and creating awareness around the importance of museums and their collections and the wealth of information contained in museums, all form part of the work of the passionate and dedicated Education and Public Programmes (EPP) team of Iziko Museums of South Africa.

Beth and David's special day

Iziko Marine Biology staff in Iziko South African Museum wet storage facility.

The Parallel Museum within the Iziko South African Museum

Explorers have been collecting specimens and documenting the diversity of life for centuries. These records are distributed across varied and distinct natural history collections worldwide16. An estimated three billion or more specimens are held in natural history collections around the world1,9,7. Museums that house these collections have often been viewed as places filled with dark rows of dust covered taxidermy and weird pickled things, haunted by necromaniacs interested only in dead material11. A view illustrated by a famous British politician who, upon his visit to a natural history museum in London, once asked: Why do we need all these bloody mice?11.

Jan de Bray Negro
The annual Iziko Summer School 2014 will run from 1 February to 1 March 2014.

Iziko Summer School 2014

The much-anticipated annual Iziko Summer School runs from 1 February to 1 March 2014. Under the theme, 'Museums & Democracy: Celebrating our 20 years of democracy' our popular programme will include public talks, interactive activities, exhibition walkabouts and film screenings. We look forward to welcoming you to our living classroom!

Fossil prep
Fossil Preparator, Zaituna Erasmus, watches on as visitors are given the opportunity to try their hand at uncovering fossils.

Visitors get hands-on

On Heritage Day, 24 September 2013, Iziko Fossil Preparator, Zaituna Erasmus presented a hands-on workshop to demonstrate the skills involved in fossil preparation to museum visitors. Eager participants were given the opportunity to work on actual 250-million-year-old fossils, as they were carefully guided in uncovering these ancient reptile specimens. One of the visitors who attended the workshop commented on his experience on the day.

Mary Sibande
Iziko Koopmans-de Wet House will celebrate 100 years of operating as a museum on 10 March 2014.

Celebrating a Century of Koopmans-de Wet House

Nearly one hundred years ago, on Tuesday, 10 March 1914, Koopmans-de Wet House opened its doors as a museum for the first time. The next day the Cape Times reported that each room in this 'charming domestic and artistic museum' had been restored 'as nearly as possible to its original condition at the end of the eighteenth century', signifying the birth of the first, and therefore oldest, house museum in South Africa.

"A Negro" by Jan de Bray. Haarlem, Netherlands, 1662. This enigmatic painting is on view at the Manor House at the Groot Constantia Estate.

Object focus:
Jan de Bray Paints Winter

As a national flagship, the Iziko museums have a central role to play in making connections between people. Our collections hold heritage assets of the South African nation that both record our rich history and tell our stories.

We aim, through the display of our permanent collection and temporary exhibition programme, to create spaces to reflect, appreciate and learn from the challenges and achievements of the past and from each other. Embracing our interconnectedness through our collections mediates and permeates every aspect of what we do.

Family day ticket
Iziko Educator, Anton van Wyk takes visitors on a tour of the Shark World exhibition at the Iziko South African Museum.

Save with the Iziko Family Ticket

You're invited! A day out with your family has never been more affordable. Our family ticket (2 adults + 2 kids) is discounted by *50% during local South African government school holidays. Enquire at reception.

*Excludes the Castle of Good Hope and Planetarium

The Parallel Museum within the Iziko South African Museum
Scenic Iziko Rust en Vreugd provides the perfect setting for fairytale weddings.

Beth and David's Perfect Day

Iziko Rust & Vreugd, one of the few surviving 18th century Cape homes, continues to be a popular wedding venue. The ornate colonial architecture, perfectly manicured lawns, beautiful garden and museum with centuries' old paintings make it a truly unique setting.

With ample parking and close proximity to the city centre, a bride has (almost) no excuses for being late on her wedding day. An added advantage is that couples get the majestic Table Mountain as a backdrop on their wedding day.

Stay in touch with us!

To receive invitations to exciting events, news, and updates on activities planned at Iziko, please subscribe at telephone +27 (0)21 481 3852,
fax +27 (0)21 461 9620, or email info@iziko.org.za.

Share your own stories with us! Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and get all the news, events and exhibitions! Or visit us on our website www.iziko.org.za to see what's happening at your museums.

Unsubscribe | Update profile | View PDF | Pause subscription
Email powered by
Everlytic
This email was sent to nettime-ann@nettime.org  on 2013-12-02 by Iziko Museums of South Africa
25 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town, the Western Cape,8000
Iziko Museums of South Africa  is intended for opt in communication only. If you feel this email is unsolicited please report it to us.