Reminder of deadline for call for papers/proposals
Trans - what?
across and beyond (artistic) research
transart institute symposium
Sunday 28 July 2013 @ Supermarkt, Berlin
Call for papers/proposals (deadline 15 May 2013)
The prefix 'trans-' points to some of the problems of universal concepts and ongoing boundary disputes between epistemes. It modifies the meaning of what it is attached to: transaction, transcription, transgression, translocation, transmission, translation, transdisciplinarity, to name only a few of the many examples in contemporary culture. Transart Institute positions itself in these alternative name-spaces where art practice, knowledge production, and research processes operate in the tensions between, across, through, and beyond establishing paradigms. Rather than prefixing meaning, Hito Steyerl talks about artistic research speaking several languages at once – and as "an act of translation". But if this is the case, the symposium asks how do we further translate 'trans' to account for the apparent normalisation of its application?
As part of an ongoing process of developing a research community and network, we are organising our first symposium in a series of bi-annual events. In doing this, we wish to be reflexive (not least about the use of the term trans-art), and invite researchers, artist-researchers, artists, and others, to explore some of these acts of translation.
Keynote speaker: Julia Moritz
We are seeking proposals from researchers, artists, artist-researchers, curators, and academics for short papers or alternative forms of presentation such as performance-lectures. Submissions might relate to the following as a point of departure and as a possible structure for the symposium:
- modes of communication and exchange (trans-actions, trans-missions).
- forms and paradigms through which artistic research operates (trans-criptions, trans-disciplinarities)
- spaces in which knowledge is formed, produced and disseminated (trans-locations)
- the deeper consequences of changing something to something else (trans-gressions, trans-formations, translations)...
We hope to uncover alternative models of knowledge production; to excavate relatively forgotten histories of attempts to rethink organizational and institutional structures; to explore the potential of technological paradigms to redefine possibilities; and reveal examples of non-traditional methods, use of non-textual language, speculations, and actions.
DEADLINE for proposals: 15 May 2013
- Notification of acceptance will be announced: 31 May 2013
- Paper proposals should consist of an abstract (300 words) with title + biographies (100 words) in preparation for a 20 minute presentation
- Alternative forms of presentations should consist of a proposal (300 words) with weblinks as appropriate to visuals, performances, etc.
- Submissions and all inquiries regarding submissions should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Proposals will be reviewed by faculty from Transart Institute, Aarhus University and Plymouth University.
SPECTRE list for media culture in Deep Europe
Info, archive and help: